Flammenwerfer Schutzhelm?

Khukri

In the Mémorial de Verdun

For Flammenwerfer operator.
2r7lz4i.jpg

With Wappen and Pickel. Never seen one in my reference books. Did you ?
One reaction was that this was originaly a firefighter protection mask. (after all it was a firefighter who invented the Flammerwerfer...correct ?)

Could Pickel and/or Wappen be added after the war....

Thank you,
Francis

Hope the staff of the Memorial de Verdun knows what they have in their collection....

I've seen helmets like this before and wouldn't say "fantasy helmet"... But imo this is a helmet for workers in a foundry... I can imagine this would help a lot when working with liquid steel...

The spike and helmet plate are added of course :-"

Adler

Adler said:
I've seen helmets like this before and wouldn't say "fantasy helmet"... But imo this is a helmet for workers in a foundry... I can imagine this would help a lot when working with liquid steel...

The spike and helmet plate are added of course :-"

Adler
The spike and helmet plate is what makes a significant artifact much less. It is like a biker taking a mint M1918 Stahlhelm and adding a spike and Wappen.

I believe this is a German "Rauchhelm" used by firefighters. (I think developed around 1915) It had a "lug" on the top to secure a spray device. Perhaps someone thought the lug was for a spike?

It never ceases to amaze me with what people can come up with --- a human shower head!
OMG
John :lol:

There is a fairly famous picture of a trench scene with a soldier wearing a similar helmet (sans the Wappen) and holding a Flammenwerfer.

Chip

Back