flat top fiasco

Somebody is getting burned again..
Then again, when buying helmets like the ones we collect, read this forum and be aware of the many fakes on sale. :eek:

There has to be something going on here, some flim flam which is trying to create a false impression of this sale! No one in this age of the internet can be so foolish as to bid on this piece of crap! Perhaps our UK members can shed some light as to what is going on here???

b.loree said:
There has to be something going on here, some flim flam which is trying to create a false impression of this sale! No one in this age of the internet can be so foolish as to bid on this piece of crap! Perhaps our UK members can shed some light as to what is going on here???

I agree 100%. NOBODY would have paid $907 for this thing!
There has to be something going on.
The first thing that comes to mind for me is postal fraud.
Insure the item, ensure it gets lost, and then make a claim.

John :x :x :x

I am in the UK, and collect a lot of other military items other than headgear.

If you go to fair's here you will see crap on full display, from smaller dealers and often willing buyers.
I gave up up on telling people they are buying junk years ago. You are not a welcome guest at a table selling it.

Don't know how a postal scam would work here as anything insured has to be handed over and signed for at the other end.... but i'm sure less scrupulous people will know a way...

Mark

I would be interested Mark on reading your thoughts on "Regimentals". The son has now established a presence for them on Youtube and their tables have been very close to ours at the SOS for the last 3 years. I also had a couple of conversations with their still photographer Oliver at the Show. He took all of the photos and published their series of collector books based on the Baldwin collection. Obviously, they have been in business for many years.

I remember when they were a shop back in the 70's, when it was run by the grandfather and his son.
There was a small area in london where a few dealers were located... Bit of a cartel in the pre internet days...

I had a few bits and pieces over the years....

A few things had to be treated with extreme caution.. (Humped up or totally wrong...in my opinion of course !) lack of knowledge would have cost you dear.

But since the grandson running it now, took over, the quality of the stock is so much better. Having said that i haven't bought anything since then due to the prices.

But what happens "under the table..." i have no idea....

I have bought a couple of items from them in the last year. Asking prices are not cheap, but they are open to offers. As Peter S mentions in his post on ‘Historical Influencers’, Daniel Fisher does regular informative You Tube updates about recently acquired stock and shows they have attended. Gives you a good idea of the range and quality of their items and a chance to assess the dealer.

Patrick

Back