Flogging a Dead Horse?

A

Anonymous

Hello All:

I enjoyed a brief phone conversation with Mr. Brian Loree Saturday night, and he initiated a discussion on the shared characteristics between the Pickelhaube and the British Home Service Helmet. Since I acquired one of these recently, the conversation seemed particularly well timed. I haven't had much success engaging participation in this subject in the past, so this is my final effort. Hereafter, the subject will never darken these pages again.

After the Regency period, military fads and fashions appeared to be highly imitative. For example, Lancers of all nations adopted and adapted the Polish Czapka. Hussars wore busbies, etc. Prussia introduced the Pickelhaube in 1842, and a headdress so extraordinay was, likewise, destined to be copied.

Suprisingly, there is scant published information on the Home Service Helmet; therefore, most of the following will be sketchy.

The blue cloth covered cork helmet was first introduced in 1878. The profile of the helmet was quite reminiscent to the Modell 1856 Pickelhaube with the contour of the front visor providing the major exception. The cloth cover was sewn together from four panels. The helmet was issued to other ranks; the officer's helmet was privately purchased. The furniture on both issued and private purchase helmets was brass; however, officer helmets were enhanced by mercury gilding (Is this starting to sound familiar?). The helmet was fitted with a spike for infantry, and a ball for artillery, engineers, medical corps, and veterinary corps. However, I have seen period photographs of artillery and engineer helmets with spikes, so, clearly, there appears no absolute here. In 1879, The helmet was adpted for Foreign Service and covered in White Cloth. By the time of the Sudan campaigns and Anglo Boer Wars, a Khaki version had emerged.

The spike or ball were threaded to a cruciform base containing four ventilation holes. The base was secured to the helmet by threaded retainers bearing a Lancastrian/Tudor Rose motif. The Rose (Rosette) also served as the method for attaching the chainmail chinstrap. The helmets were equipped with rear spines, and, for officers, brass visor trim. The interior of the helmet featured green undervisors and a leather sweatband and adjustable silk crown.

In 1902, the helmet was modified as the Crown of Edward VII replaced that of Queen Victoria.

Like the Pickelhaube, the appearance of the Home Service Helmet evolved over time as the height of the helmet was reduced. Below is a side by side comparison of a Royal Engineers helmet (left) and a Royal Artillery helmet (right). The Artillery helmet is the older example. Note the difference in height and the shape of the visor trim. Both helmets are pre-1902.

PICT0203.jpg

Side view:

PICT0213.jpg

Royal Artillery cruciform: the roses are separate from the base.

PICT0211.jpg

Royal Engineers Cruciform: the roses are an integral part of the base.

PICT0212.jpg

Close-up of the rosette. The hook brings to mind the design of the Modell 1887 Pickelhaube.

PICT0214.jpg

Apologies for the poor focus. Note the distinct contours of the neck visors. Again, the RE helmet is on the left.

PICT0215.jpg

If you've stuck with this post until the bitter end, you might be surprised to learn the Royal Engineers helmet is also a General's helmet. Unlike the German model, there is neither a special top nor an enameled helmet plate. Should anyone inquire, I will happily reveal the identity of the General this helmet belonged to.

Chas.

Hi Chas,
Excellent article. I liked a lot the information and, above all, of the photos. Congratulations. You really have pieces of first category.
Otto :shock:

PS. I love these English helmets.

Hi Mike, Hi Otto:

Yes, I suppose my motives are pretty transparent. However, I'm not busting just yet.

By the way, Mike, congratulations on your new Stahlblech.

Chas.

I know, I know. Hey Chas, I will not tell, but keep these stories coming, these are pointy hats too.
Zaphod

Oi Otto:

When not worn under the chin, the chainmail is draped diagonally across the helmet and connected to the hook.

Oi Gus:

We need Margo to reinstate the "Non German Spiked Helmet Discussion" topic so that posts like this can find a proper home.

Chas.

epsomgreen said:
We need Margo to reinstate the "Non German Spiked Helmet Discussion" topic so that posts like this can find a proper home.
I do admire your persistence in posting beautiful, but non-Pickelhaube collectibles. Those are exceptional helmets, however, have you ever thought of posting items like this in the Wehrmacht-Awards "British and Commonwealth Militaria" Forum?
http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56
They would go nuts over this stuff there. That's where I post my CEF items for discussion.

Hi Tony:

Thanks for the tip. I will be certain to check it out.

Chas.

flasheart said:
- who was the general?

Hi Mike:

The provenance of this helmet, which I purchased from Michael Morris in 2003, is based largely upon the storage case in which it was found (this subject was once posted on the original pickelhaubes forum, so I know some of you may remember it).

To review, the Home Service Helmet is that of an Officer of the Royal Engineers, sized 7-1/4," pre-1902, with QVC.

PICT0216.jpg

It was discovered in this storage case at the former Royal Victoria Hospital at Netley, Hampshire. The interior of the case has a copper wash finish.

PICT0232.jpg

A shipping label is pasted to the bottom of the case:

Per S.S.
To
Shipped by
Thos. Cook & Son.
Piccadilly Circus
London

PICT0233.jpg

There is a maker's crest on the case lid (presumably not the same Edward Smith who captained the Titanic).

PICT0230.jpg

The owner:

PICT0228.jpg

Chas.

Hey Chas,
Nice helmets, I must disagree with Tony on this subject though. Nearly every country used spiked helmets (Pickelhauben) at some point in their history, all were inspired by the Prussian Pickelhaube. If we were to discount the British helmets, then we should overlook the American ones too, what about the Chileian, Swedish, Mexican and Bavarian helmets? Just a thought, but I do like to see the way the Pickelhaube impacted the rest of the world.
Best wihses
Gus

Gustaf said:
Hey Chas,
Nice helmets, I must disagree with Tony on this subject though. Nearly every country used spiked helmets (Pickelhauben) at some point in their history, all were inspired by the Prussian Pickelhaube. If we were to discount the British helmets, then we should overlook the American ones too, what about the Chileian, Swedish, Mexican and Bavarian helmets? Just a thought, but I do like to see the way the Pickelhaube impacted the rest of the world.

Well France I think avoided the spiked helmet! :p

And do remember that it was a RUSSIAN design originally. For the British I also see that it is a combination of their colonial pith helmets with the "spikey" elements. The British were using the pith helmets first in Africa before adopting the design for use at home. The American versions also follow the British pattern, they're more pith than leather spike helmet.

Mexico, Chile, Sweden, Romania, etc. Those were true Prussian styled leather helmets.

Hi Peter,
We might need to have Joe redo his story on the American helmet that was baised on a German corpus, even if the Brit and AM helmets were based on a pith helmet, they acquired the spike from Prussia.
Best wihsese
Gus

Back