Flugeladjutant Helmets

Today's post from the Turinetti collection is an FA helmet from Oldenburg. This helmet is an example from pre 1905. Again, my thanks to Jim for sharing his collection with us.
Compressed DSCN0258.JPG
Compressed DSCN0259.JPG
Compressed Oldenburg DSCN026203.JPG
Compressed Oldenburg DSCN026607.JPG
Compressed Oldenburg DSCN026708.JPG
Compressed Oldenburg DSCN026405.JPG
Compressed Oldenburg DSCN026304.JPG
More pictures of these rare and beautiful helmets to come.

Jim ;
Thanks so much for the photos .
This may be the only chance that we
would ever have to see these helmets .
Steve McFarland

Stunning, gorgeous helmets!

Reminds me why I find the Imperial era so appealing. :thumb up:

Thanks for sharing these.

These are amazing helmets. Congratulations to Jim (and thanks to Brian for posting pictures).
Regarding the latest entry, is it Weimar or Meiningen? The state cockade indicates Sachsen-Meiningen (the Sachsen-Weimar colours were green/yellow/black). Ian Kube shows a plate for a 1912 Sachsen-Meiningen Flugeladjutant helmet in his latest catalogue but colours are inverted (silver star and yellow emblem) and adds in the description that the center should be enameled, according to litterature. Do we have here an earlier variation?

Thank you Bruno, I will alert Jim regarding your question on this helmet. Regarding pictures, I just post them, all credit goes to Jim, Steve, Verdun 16, Tony, yourself and all others who have posted here during this world wide crisis. My intention is, to keep the site as active as possible with many posts from all members. We are all surrounded with uncertainty and stress right now, let us use the forum as a positive in our lives. As such, I would encourage all of our senior members who have large collections to share here with us. For the newer members or folks with smaller collections, get on board also, ask questions and post photos. I am going to do the same! Take care everyone...Game On!

Good eye Bruno. This was sold to me as the helmet for a FA from Saxe-Meinigen. I got this helmet from Ron Fengler in Germany. I don't know if this is an early model plate or just wrong. The next helmet Brian will post for me will be from Saxe-Weimar. Thanks again Brian for posting all of these for me. Jim

Jim ;
I would stick with the fact that all wide winged eagles for the F A helmets would be silver .
To me some of the plates in the next Kube auction might not have ever been used on helmets .
It is possible that some might be plates that were shown by the firm that supplied the helmets .
I sure hope that you win the ones that you will go after .If so later on they be posted on the site .

I sent you the text by Fiebig about the helmets and helmet plates of the Sax -Duchies .
What did he say about the helmet plate in question ? I don't remember any Sax- Duchie
( I R 94 ; I R 95 or 153 ) ever having any enamel plate ?
At one time I owned Carl Edward's helmet as Chef of the regiment .It did not have any
enameled center .Maybe I misunderstand Bruno' s question ?
Steve McFarland

Here is today's post from Jim's collection and unfortunately, the last one in this series. I hope everyone has noted that Jim, as a fellow collector, has given us detailed photos of his helmets...wappen removed, rear pics of wappen, makers labels, wappen close ups, kokarden etc. These photos go way beyond what we normally find in expensive, weighty collector references. Waldeck Pyrmont FA:
Waldeck-Pyrmont  Compressed DSCN118503.jpg
Waldeck-Pyrmont  Compressed DSCN118604.jpg
Waldeck-Pyrmont   Compressed DSCN117307.jpg
How many close ups of a WP officer kokarde have you seen?
Waldeck-Pyrmont  Compressed DSCN117601.jpg
Waldeck-Pyrmont  Compressed DSCN118202.jpg
One thing that I would like to personally point out regarding the spike tops on most of these FA helmets, they are the "General Officer" model where the spike top meets flush with the spike neck. They are fluted like the Bavarians BUT they do not have the "lip" which extends over and around the spike neck. Again, thank you very much Jim for sharing your collection with us. Jim always has tables at the SOS and once we get through this crisis and back to collecting at shows make sure to drop by his display and say hello. :thumb up:

KAGGR#1 said:
Jim ;
I would stick with the fact that all wide winged eagles for the F A helmets would be silver .
To me some of the plates in the next Kube auction might not have ever been used on helmets .
It is possible that some might be plates that were shown by the firm that supplied the helmets .
I sure hope that you win the ones that you will go after .If so later on they be posted on the site .

I sent you the text by Fiebig about the helmets and helmet plates of the Sax -Duchies .
What did he say about the helmet plate in question ? I don't remember any Sax- Duchie
( I R 94 ; I R 95 or 153 ) ever having any enamel plate ?
At one time I owned Carl Edward's helmet as Chef of the regiment .It did not have any
enameled center .Maybe I misunderstand Bruno' s question ?
Steve McFarland

Hi Steve, no question about FA eagles being silver, of course.
I was only referring to the Sachsen-Meiningen plate shown in I. Kube's catalogue, that carries a golden Sachsen coat of arms on a silver star. He writes in the description that the coat of arms (Rautenkronenwappen) should be in black/gold/green.
I agree with you that reading his descriptions of other Flugeladjutant plates, there seems to be some uncertainties. For instance, he shows a plate for a FA from Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt but acknowledges in the description that there is no published account that this plate ever existed...

Wow spectacular helmets .
I have never seen much less heard of these .
Were is the last one with the red Maltese on it from ?
Any history or story behind that piece ?

Here is a REPLICA of the plate purporting to be from Sachsen-Meiningen. I have never seen an original, and can't say wether this is an accurate representation or not. Very pretty nonetheless!

Attachments

• FluegeladlerSM.jpg
    FluegeladlerSM.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 3,128
Back