Flyboys, the movie.

That looks just awful. Typical Hollywood BS. :bs: In the trailer, do I see EVERY Dr1 (Triplane) pained all red? Von Richthofen was flying 20 Dr1 at once? And an exploding Zeppelin? Please. Of 16 Zeppelin destroyed by aircraft, in the air or in hangars, the Lafayette Esquadrille had absolutely nothing to do with any one of them

Or, perhaps the director has our fearless hero borrowing a Sopwith while on leave in the UK so he shoots down a Zep after supper before making love to a beautiful British woman from the British War Dept? Groan.

Quote : "At a small train station in rural Nebraska, William Jensen promises to make his family proud. "

I think I am going to puke. :puke: Why can't Hollywood just stick to facts?

Tony & Kaiser said:
That looks just awful. Typical Hollywood BS. :bs: In the trailer, do I see EVERY Dr1 (Triplane) pained all red? Von Richthofen was flying 20 Dr1 at once? And an exploding Zeppelin? Please. Of 16 Zeppelin destroyed by aircraft, in the air or in hangars, the Lafayette Esquadrille had absolutely nothing to do with any one of them

Or, perhaps the director has our fearless hero borrowing a Sopwith while on leave in the UK so he shoots down a Zep after supper before making love to a beautiful British woman from the British War Dept? Groan.

Quote : "At a small train station in rural Nebraska, William Jensen promises to make his family proud. "

That pretty much says it all. You had me laughing so hard I almost peed my pants.

Oh well, it's no Blue Max I or Hells Angels I guess.

Thanks for that Tony. Be safe.

Paul LeBrasseur said:

Two great movies. But you know what I really enjoyed recently? "the Aviator". Fantastic movie, and the scenes of Hughes filming Hell's Angels had me cheering in the audience. Be safe? I'm not the one in theatre.

:salute:

Tony & Kaiser said:
Paul LeBrasseur said:

Two great movies. But you know what I really enjoyed recently? "the Aviator". Fantastic movie, and the scenes of Hughes filming Hell's Angels had me cheering in the audience. Be safe? I'm not the one in theatre.

Hell's Angels does look good on DVD.

But the film that everyone is probably forgetting about is the 1927 film "Wings," which actually won the first Best Picture Academy Award. (It wasn't called Oscar yet!)

This isn't available on DVD, and it is a silent film. I haven't seen since one of my many film classes in college. But it is a terrific film. Also all those cliches about the friend taking the married guy's place, etc. This is the film that started it.

Tony & Kaiser said:

Sorry Tony, but that doesn't sell movie tickets. I look at a lot of these as historical fiction/fantasy. Even some GOOD films have some BIG problems.

Here are some good examples:

1) Braveheart -- Battle of Stirling Bridge, where the bloody hell is the bridge? OH, and sorry Wallace didn't father Edward III. While it is likely Edward II never consummated his marriage, most historians agree that Edward I (Longshanks, his father) probably took care of that.

2) Gladiator -- Commodus wasn't such a bad emperor, considering bad emperors. He didn't get killed by a former general turned slave turned gladiator!

3) Kingdom of Heaven -- Guy de Lusignan didn't get killed. And his Sibylla didn't run off with the blacksmith. She did stay and defended the city. And then she and Guy eventually made it to Cyprus. They BOUGHT the island from the Templars and lived out their lives wishing to get back the Kingdom they managed to lose!

But I'll agree Tony, Flyboys looks like crap. More like U-251 or The Patriot. Maybe fun to watch, but the history is dubious at best.

And, if Flyboys doesn't represent the nadir of historical accuracy, this will:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365675/

Chas.

Chas Looks good But whos playing Wop May?
About Brave Heart William Wallace was rich and wore full Armour ,also looks nothing like MEL.
I thought Gladiator was a great remake of the rise and fall of the Roman Empire ,but lacks historical accuracy.
The other film you mentioned I was hoping to see the next installment ,but that won't happen as Richard would have to be portrayed as the Butcher instead of the Lion Heart.
MArk

There is a big clip called "the battle" here
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1808746759/trailer

I know I don't know what I don't know and there was much obvious hollywood bunk but I was entertained. I REALLY understood and laughed when the dude was trying to fix his machine gun with a hammer. Ok not historically accurate perhaps but I enjoyed it. :p

Guys,

I recently purchased a DVD copy of the 1927 version of 'WINGS'. The cover is printed in Chinese but the DVD itself is just fine. If anybody wants it, I can chase down the guy I bought it from.
Mike

Howdy All!!

Haven't posted in a while. Moved back from Texas to Ohio for good, and have been busily workin' ever since. I finally sat down and started playing catch-up to all the cool things going on. I noticed this topic, and thought I'd share a bit.

I do think this is going to be a pretty cheesy (':p'), but the effects are going to be pretty cool. The trailor even shows some cool ground battle scenes, and I hope there is more in the movie.

About the only thing good about the movie I can say so far is that it might spur an interest back into the First World War, of which most people in the general public seem to forget about the most. I think it is important since we are at the 90th ann. of this somewhat 'forgotten' war.

Some of you might find this new movie interesting. It comes out in 2007 and has Joseph Fiennes playing Roy Brown in the movie entilted: The Red Baron. http://redbaron-themovie.com/ It will be in english, but I am not sure of its release location. We'll see how that one goes.

-Benjamin

Speaking of "Wings" I remember watching a very cool WW1 Brit fighter squadron TV series with this title back in the 1980s. Does anyone else remember this and is is avalable on DVD? Brian

joerookery said:
trying to fix his machine gun with a hammer. Ok not historically accurate perhaps but I enjoyed it. :p

I believe they did carry small hammers in the cockpit not to repair their guns, but to clear or ram home a cartridge that was jammed in the block.

Alas, I guess his armory peeps didn't check the ammo for bad rounds. ':-x'

Later,
Benjamin

PS Sorry for the repost on the Red Baron Movie. I guess I missed it!

http://www.flyboysmessageboard.com/topic/51

These guys are really down on the historical accuracy.....I liked the action clip.

I just came back from seeing this. It was by far the worst movie I've seen this year. It was absolutely terrible. I should have waited for DVD!

Bad acting, no basis of history, poor CGI special effects and bad examples of uniforms (bad German helmets, M26 French helmets). Just not good.

Thanks, Peter for saving me the three bucks (well, it would have been six bucks as Maggie would have gone with me, and then there is the rest of the tenner for pop corn)
Gus

3 Bucks!!! I can remember those days.....

$9 a ticket per adult at our theatre

I will wait for the DVD

James

Back