Wolseley1916mick3.jpg

Wolseley1916mick4.jpg

Wolseley1916mick5.jpg

Wolseley1916mick6.jpg

Wolseley1916mick7.jpg

Wolseley1916mick8.jpg

Wolseley1916mick9.jpg

Belgian congo "Wolseley pith hat"

I bought this headset to a person who is separated from a memory of his godfather.

Another version, more rare (! Not mine ](*,) ), that worn by one of four drivers (Short seaplane 827) of M'Toa, unit having bombed the Graf von Gotzen:

CasqueaviateurMToa.jpg

CasqueaviateurMToa1.jpg

CasqueaviateurMToa2.jpg

Sold there in a few years

1930/ 1940:

DSCF0238.jpg

DSCF0237.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0245.jpg

DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0247.jpg

DSCF0248.jpg

DSCF0249.jpg

DSCF0250.jpg

DSCF0251.jpg

DSCF0252.jpg

DSCF0253.jpg

Mick

Hi Mick,

Thanks for posting your images of these rare items! Congratulations on a fine collection!

Best Regards,

Alan

A great post....very educational. I had no knowledge of these pith helmets only that Belgium had controlled the Congo. An excellent collection!

Excellent examples. These were based on the British Wolseley pattern. The first helmets were probably British made up to World War I, and then produced by the Belgians. Interestingly these were used after the Wolseley was mostly taken out of service by the British - who found it too expense. The Wolseley is still used by the Royal Marines of course, but by the 1950s it wasn't used by the British Army.

The Belgians also supplied these helmets to Ethiopia.

Peter_Suciu said:
Excellent examples. These wear based on the British Wolseley pattern. The first helmets were probably British made up to World War I, and then produced by the Belgians. Interestingly these were used after the Wolseley was mostly taken out of service by the British - who found it too expense. The Wolseley is still used by the Royal Marines of course, but by the 1950s it wasn't used by the British Army.

The Belgians also supplied these helmets to Ethiopia.

Hello Peter,

Thank you!

Sun helmets of the "Force Publique" (belgian army in belgian Congo), with natural brown leather contours used by the Belgians in 1916.
Those with the blue-gray bands used in Ethiopian campaign until the decolonization of the Belgian Congo.

Please, note that the military helmets are always beige / Kakhi; civilian helmets and Police/Government's helmets are only white.

Note also that the "Force Publique (Belgian army in Congo)" has used two models:

. The french "Sugar Loaf/Pain de sucre" in origin, but in white colors;
. Wolseley from 1916 to 1960, only in kakhi (with some variations, from beige in 1916 to green in 1960) colors.

Most round and square models are not military; only civilian (Gov'nt, Police, and civilian) .

Best regards

Mick

Hello Mick-
The French "sugar loaf" helmet or M1886 pattern was only produced in white as I can tell. Covers were issued however, in blue and khaki. I don't have a cover unforunately, but I have three examples of the 1886 helmet and one of the earlier 1878 version.

Cheers,
Peter

Great! And so beautifully crafted !

For my Italian one ...I have to find myself a rooster for the feathers to make it a Bersaglieri helmet :D )
Looks great on the bookshelf !

Thank you,
Francis

stuka f said:
Just a little message to show Mick how uniform parts were attached.
cheers
|<ris

Tanks Kris! :bravo:

I research the 1915's type for my Wangermee jacket.

Best regards

Mick

Crazy no? :eek: Belgian Congo administrative items from 1950's +-

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/301165901417?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.befr.ebay.be/itm/301165861637?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hi all

I was wondering if this tunic could be a Force Publique item and which period it could be ?

papa286_zps220f70f6.jpg

papa288_zps3ad6c1be.jpg

Thanks & Regards
JS

Ok, thanks.
Those are regular Belgian army buttons.Some were in use in Belgian Congo.
But genuine FP buttons look like thise;

many thanks ! so perhaps FB ? … what do you think of the label inside ?

kind regards
JS

Back