Found this !

What you have here is a helmet for a Prussian Unteroffizier (non-commissioned officer). Most likely infantry, although it might also be Train (only chinscales - here absent - could tell the difference). It seems to be in good condition, and the eagle plate has kept a nice finish. Nice helmet.
Bruno

Awes Marke - was a fine maker. :D
You can see some "control" pictures of maker's marks on Joe's reference page http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Helmet_Makers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pierre

This could also be an example of the Model 1915 private purchase helmet that came with M91 side posts. It originally had special chin scales which fit on to the side posts. In this case we have a helmet fitted with an OR's leather chin strap. Does the spike un screw? There is also a special M15 spike associated with these which twists off like the OR M15 helmets. This has Awes top quality liner in it with the threaded sweat band. Awes also stamped their name on the inside of their spike bases. This was a premium quality helme when purchased.

b.loree said:
This could also be an example of the Model 1915 private purchase helmet that came with M91 side posts. It originally had special chin scales which fit on to the side posts. In this case we have a helmet fitted with an OR's leather chin strap. Does the spike un screw? There is also a special M15 spike associated with these which twists off like the OR M15 helmets. This has Awes top quality liner in it with the threaded sweat band. Awes also stamped their name on the inside of their spike bases. This was a premium quality helme when purchased.

Brian is correct that it is only missing stars on the spike basis, officer cockades and chinscales to make a bona fide M15 officer helmet. These hybrid NCO/officer helmets are interesting; perhaps Joe could tell us more...

There is very little to add. These were originally referred to as one year volunteer helmets. They were NCOs while volunteers and then would convert their helmets to Officer when they were commissioned in the reserves. This was a very high-end helmet from my maker that I believe was located in Saxony. They did a thriving Mail order business throughout the empire. I bring this up because of the cockade. There are 1 million variations on these private purchase helmets, and it seems as though this one has some sort of non serrated Hessian. Is that how you see it?

It looks nice, but € 1200 seems a little bit too much.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pickelhaube-Preussen-Unteroffizier-I-Awes-Marke-I-Original-/251988051786?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3aaba8874a#ht_120wt_957" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Gents,

Now 1000 US$...

However, before buying such a hybrid helmet, I would rather look at the inside of it, where the M91 side posts are fixed...
Because I am thinking I can clearly see the very special traces of chinscales on the front visor :-"

Philippe
:D

Back