Franco-Prussian War Battlefields

LangeKerl

I found this interesting website.

http://www.frenchbattlefields.com/franco_prussian_war_images.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope to visit some of these sites one day soon.

Willi, I'd like to visit these places too, one day I will....thanks for posting the photos, they're great.

Francis, have a great trip and please post some photos, especially if you visit some of the smaller museums. :D

Will do !

I plan this trip in 2014. So I have some time to do it right.
This summer we'll probably visit the Marne region and-yes-once again-the Fort de la Pompelle :D

(I'll tell "Missus Boss" a bit later: a surprise you know... :thumb up: )

Don't forget:
Belgium 2014:
-August 12th. 100 year commemoration of the "Battle of the Silver Helmets" in Halen when the last Cavalry Charges on the Western front were executed by the elite Imperial German Kavallerie Regimenter on a Divisional scale. The only Belgian victory-without allied support-during the Great War. Belgian lancers dismounted and fought as Infantry with the Infantry.
Red hot lead against sabre and lance.
-December: Battle of the Bulge 1944-2014, Bastogne, 70 years commemoration.

About time to make the crossing over the Big Pond.

Visit the famous Brussels Army Museum.
La Pompelle
Vornholz Kavallerie Museum
etc...etc...
Simply rent a van.

and...about time to learn what REAL beer is. Trappist !

Just let me know when you should need some help... :wink: ...not only regarding the beer...that is...
I'm sure some of the other :army: -Wild Bunch-European branch members are looking forward to help organizing.

Regards,
Francis

Larry, you should go! I have always wanted to spend some time in that area. This fall's trip to Germany for the Kassel show will take me elsewhere afterwards (will finally visit Suhl, Weimar, Erfurt, etc). I think I might try for this area next fall.

Francis, I was thinking about attending some of the WWI 100th anniversary events next year as well. My grandfather served some time in the west (1st West Prussian Foot Artillery Regiment) after Russia surrendered, and since I now know more about his service, I might see if I can find areas he fought in. My previous trips to Europe have mainly focused on WWII sites (was in the Ardennes last year), but I did visit some WWI sites when I was stationed in Germany.

Francis, where in Belgium are you? A good friend of mine owns the museum near Malmedy (Baugnez '44) which is probably the best WWII museum in Europe, and he also bought the "December '44" museum in La Gleize (he will open it this month). I have also been hoping to see the Brussels Army Museum. Don't forget Waterloo in 2015!

Tough to fit it all in. I want to return to Potsdam as well, as I now know more about some of the barracks' locations for the various Garde units.

Luckily I am going to retire this fall so I will have lots of time!!! :bravo:

Willi,

Indeed: so much to visit.

I was in Baugnez ! Fine collection. I have a look for the La Gleize website. Thanks for the hint !

I guess Waterloo 2015 will be better to watch on TV !

I have to go back to visit Les Invalides in Paris.

The 1870-1871 section was closed when I went there some years ago.

Leeds is on my list as well...

OMG...Missus Boss won't be amused I guess...

Francis

-August 12th. 100 year commemoration of the "Battle of the Silver Helmets" in Halen when the last Cavalry Charges on the Western front were executed by the elite Imperial German Kavallerie Regimenter on a Divisional scale. The only Belgian victory-without allied support-during the Great War. Belgian lancers dismounted and fought as Infantry with the Infantry.
Red hot lead against sabre and lance.

Francis,

Do you have more on this event? I have looked at some detail on the German side of this for the next book. Is there a website? Do you know what is going to happen there? It was not a divisional charge but repeated impalement by different regiments. Both the division and the HKK commander did nothing to intervene. Very interesting battle.

Luckily I am going to retire this fall so I will have lots of time!!!

Willi if you are anything like me you will be so busy you can't remember how you had time to work!

Willi, I plan on getting there someday, your next Fall trip should be a good one...maybe a bunch of us Pickelhaube Pals should plan a FP battlefield tour :D

Francis, I would like nothing better than to quaff a few brewskies with the Wild Bunch, and see some cool sites, sounds like 2014 will be a busy year for you guys.. :thumb up:

Since I can't go quite yet, here are a few links that keep me busy, this one has a lot of interesting sub-categories, not all FP era..http://1815-1918.blogspot.com/2009/10/franco-prussian-reenactment.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one is just fun to watch and shows the level of interest in the Wars of German Unification.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRnnn52ShAw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Some of the troops in this video have had a bit of a weapons upgrade, but if you look close there are a few needleguns blasting away...looks like everyone is having a good time and that's all that matters.

Cheers Larmo

Gentlemen,
Sorry, I have no information on the activities in Halen in August 2014. I know the museum receives a rather small sum (compared with large scaled projects 1914-1918/2014-2018.) I'll keep my eyes open for more info on this battle.

I go to the Marne and to Fort de la Pompelle in August. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ve1tmqlWmI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the way back North we'll visit the small-but nice-Battlefield museum de la Targette in Neuville-Saint-Vaast (I posted some pics earlier). This is at only 2 Km's from the Vimy Ridge.

Francis

Larry, I think a tour would be a great idea! I have done that with my WWII collecting buddies and it is alot of fun. My wife can even tolerate it if I mix it with some other museums, nice quaint towns, wineries, etc. :D

Joe, yes I will be very busy in retirement. I will start up a militaria show here on the East Coast, I have plenty of hobbies, love to do yard/ home projects, and will prepare to move to the mountains of Pa!!

Francis, I will have to return to Les Invalides one day. Yes I suspect Waterloo 2015 will be a mob scene. I am tempted to go over for Leipzig 2013, as I enjoyed the small museum and the monument (which was being refurbished for 2013). The focus for much of my life has always been WWII, so I am enjoying a new focus.

Larry, great video and link! I have enjoyed reenacting for most of my adult life, so I always enjoy seeing others doing the same. It does look like they could use a little more "Prussian drilling"! :cool:

Interesting selection of firearms, and I think I saw a couple of Garde Jägers in the final photo.

I saw this site before and its indeed a very interesting one.

Thanks for sharing and regards,

Edwin

Hey Willi, I've also been a reenactor for many, many years, mostly 19th Century (American Civil War) but a little WWII and some Great War events at Shimpstown back in the late 70's and early 80's.

Here is an image of our group during the filming of the movie "Gettysburg" in 1993, a portion of which was filmed on the actual battlefield. It's the best photo we've ever had taken of us (IMHO) and was done by a member of our unit. Just a note, none of the uniforms, equipment or weapons were provided by Hollywood, everyman paid for his own and each was armed with an original .69 caliber smoothbore musket. The rumpled look the guys exhibit was also provided by the men and mother nature as we camped in the field for a week during shooting schedule. Great bunch of guys, we had a lot of fun together....Full Packs and Forty Rounds.. :army:

bijq.jpg

Back