Freikorps Insignia? Postwar Photo of an Oberleutnant

Jvpi

Dear members,

Here is a photo from my collection, shows Oberleutnant Karl Christian if I'm not wrong, he is a winner of the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight Cross. Not sure about his unit in the old army, but I think either artillery or pioneer. Unknown badge on his upper left sleeve, Freikorps? Did not find a match yet.
Any help is appreciated, many thanks!

Jvpi

Last edited:
Hi JV,

a little bit tricky this one but I think I have your man.

"meinem lieben Heinrich,

Karl Christian
März 20 Ostpreußen

A dedication from Karl Christian to Heinrich.

Karl Christian are fornames and not the guy's surname.

Oberleutnant Karl Christian Lohse, commissioned into PB 9 on 6 August 1914 (Patent 28.1.13). He also served with PB 2 and was promoted to Oberleutnant on 18 April 18. There are still a couple of details I need to work on but I can confirm that on leaving the Prussian Army he was granted the permission to wear the uniform of PB 9 as seen here. The oakleaf insignia is that of Freikorps von Oven (Freiwilligen-Regiment von Oven) in which numerous officers of PB 9 served including Herr Lohse.

Regards
Glenn

Last edited:
Hi JV,

a little bit tricky this one but I think I have your man.

"meinem lieben Heinrich,

Karl Christian
März 20 Ostpreußen

A dedication from Karl Christian to Heinrich.

Karl Christian are fornames and not the guy's surname.

Oberleutnant Karl Christian Lohse, commissioned into PB 9 on 6 August 1914 (Patent 28.1.13). He also served with PB 2 and was promoted to Oberleutnant on 18 April 18. There are still a couple of details I need to work on but I can confirm that on leaving the Prussian Army he was granted the permission to wear the uniform of PB 9 as seen here. The oakleaf insignia is that of Freikorps von Oven (Freiwilligen-Regiment von Oven) in which numerous officers of PB 2 served including Herr Lohse.

Regards
Glenn
Hello Glenn,

This is again amazing research, I truly admire the richness of your knowledge and resources! Thanks a lot for checking it out!
I wonder is he traceable by the Hohenzollern Order? I have not seen many photos of Freikorps von Oven, so this is the first time I see this sleeve badge. Is it an official one from the unit?

Best regards,
Jvpi

I believe he is one of the not very many remaining holders of the HOH3X to be identified! Some late war awards were not published. I was initially looking for a Pionier-Bataillon 9 holder of that award with the name Christian but that of course was without success. I then checked a members list of the officers‘ association of PB 9 from 1930 and went through all the names. There I found Karl Christian Lohse. On further checking I found out that he had been latterly assigned to Pionier-Bataillon 2. A cross-check of the records from this battalion showed him to be serving with Freiwilligen-Regiment von Oven in 1919.

The elongated oak leaves of the Oven Freikorps were normally worn on the collar but I am surmising that they would have looked odd on an Überrock.

incidentally there was an Hauptmann Rudolf Lohse of Pionier-Bataillon 11 who was also an HOH3X holder.

Regards
Glenn

How resourceful! Interesting that he did not put down his surname on this card, probably it was sent to a close friend?
Also not common to see Freikorps insignia sewn on old coloured uniform, particularly on an Überrock. I'm very happy with this acquisition.

Back