French Dragoon from Mexico - need some help with this one

Maple Creek

This came in the mail today. The seller bought it in an antique store in Mexico City in 1989. It's supposed to be a relic from the Cinco de Mayo battle at Puebla. It's probably not that, but I thought there was at least a chance that it was something from the French Intervention period. Can anybody help nail down an ID on this one?

Mark D.

I've learned that it's a Model 1845 Dragoon helmet. I haven't figured out if French dragoons were sent to Mexico during the French Intervention period. Research on...

Cool old helmet Maple. My info says no Dragoon regiments went to Mexico during the intervention. The cavalry units which did serve were the 5th Hussars (2 squadrons), 12th Chasseurs 'a Cheval (4 squadrons), 7 squadrons of Chasseuers d' Afrique from the 1st & 3rd regiments. There were other mounted volunteer units from Belgium and Austria as well as French infantry and artillery. Men-At-Arms series, number 272, The Mexican Adventure 1861-67 by Chartrand & Hook. This old stuff sure wanders around doesn't it..

Back