French general caps WW1

Thanks, I collected French items for years. I really enjoy the uniforms worn by the French on the outbreak of WW1 and the transition to horizon blue. Your general’s kepis are wonderful. I have 2-3 embroidered kepi but think all but one in storage. I need more room to display my 4 generals uniforms.
Here’s one that Ive put away.
View attachment 39833
Lovely caps Charles. I particularly like the workmanship on the képis which were all hand-made.
If you ever consider parting with that beautiful horizon blue four-stars képi, you now know whom to speak to 😉

Reactions: ccj
Just for comparison, a replica I picked up a few years ago that was in a tote box at Aberdeen for 20 bucks. I wore it while on vacation in France as a conversation starter. Regards John Josef

Resized_20231210_124428.jpeg

Superb! General De Maud'huy was born in Metz (France) and became the first military governor of Metz after the armistice. In 1974, I bought the Renault Juva4 "hunting estate" from his son, at the family chateau near Metz.

Reactions: ccj
the above showed caps have a black liner, mine has a light liner.
sorry for the quality of the photo's now no time to get them out of the display cubbord , maybe in the upcoming weekend
don't know anything of the former owner.

Attachments

• general kepi 1.jpg
    general kepi 1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 5
  • general kepi 2.jpg
    general kepi 2.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 5
And did it have the desired effect?

Yes, as a matter of fact it did.

I remember a few times in Wissembourg, Strasbourg, Colmar and at Chateau du Haut Koenigsbourg when I received a few salutes and at least two people said they liked my hat. One time in Wissembourg it help start a conversation about Military collecting, and information about the local Museum. (y) Of course my wife thought I looked ridiculous, but that was part of the fun ;)

Back