French M1860 Infantry Shako

Larmo

Hi Gang

Since July 19 is the 139th anniversary of the beginning of the 1870-71 Franco-German War, I thought some might enjoy a few pictures of our M1860 French Infantry Shako. It is entirely made of leather with a removable brass eagle plate with the regiment number 48 below. This was more or less a universal pattern (as far as I know) for foot troops with different brass helmet plates for different branches, pioneers, light infantry and so on. Interestingly many of the helmet plates that I have examined tend to be dated on the reverse as this example is. I believe the pompom is the correct pattern for this Shako but I'm not sure. Hopefully some of our French colleagues could shed some light on this question.

By the time of the declaration of war in July of 1870 the French Army had adopted another pattern of shako, however it is quite probable that many of this pattern saw service during that conflict, they certainly did during the Mexican Campaign of 1862-1866. As handsome as they are they were quite unpopular with the troops, with the men prefering the much more comfortable Kepi for wear.

On a final note, during the American Civil War 1861-1865, we imported around 10,000 of these for wear by various state troops, an example would be the 83rd Pennsylvania Infantry. They weren't popular here either. After the war Francis Bannerman bought the remainder as surplus and sold them through his business for many years. They are readily available today on the collectors market, albeit with an American eagle front plate, no French issue tags inside (ours is dated 1864) and a reversing of the colors on the cockade.

One of our favorite pieces of heardgear..the last image shows young French soldier posed with his 1860 pattern shako.

Larry

shako1.jpg

shako3.jpg

shako4.jpg

shako6.jpg

hpqscan0001z.jpg

Excellent Larry!!

The shako is a nice example, and it is always a nice touch to display artifacts with original photos that put them in context.

Thanks guys for the comments, our French Shakos and Prussian Pickelhaubes glare at each other from opposite sides of the man cave :)

Larmo

What a great thread! Peter has always lamented the lack of history., but you do a great job placing the thread through. I will be interested in your comments on appendix D. of our book. It is about the development of tactics and doctrine in the face of technological improvements and examples between 1870, and 1914.

Very nice shako. I am surprised these weren't more popular with the troops in the era.

And Joe is right, I do sometimes feel that the "history" of the items is never really fully appreciated. With this forum I think the members care more for the history, but I've met too many helmet collectors that have helmets from around the world but don't know the wars in which those helmets were used, and worse I know some couldn't locate the countries on a map!

But again, lovely shako and thank you for sharing the history about this pattern.

I assume that once Napoleon III (Louis Napoleon) bought his copy of "Best Places to go into Exile" the Third Republic still used these for a bit?

Hi Guys

Again, glad you enjoyed it. I love this old stuff too.

Peter as I mentioned above the French Army introduced another model just prior to the 1870 War, The Model 1868. From the reference I have it appears to be a red wool covered shako, lower in the crown and decorated simply with the regiment number, cockade and pompom. (I don't have one of these yet) :(

A new model was adopted in 1874, similar to the 1868 but in blue instead of red wool, and decorated with a brass bursting bomb on the front.

My reference source on this is Les Coiffures de L'Armee Francaise, by Joseph Margarand pages 159-161.

Larry

Back