French Military Police helmet M1912 for your comments

aterrasse

Dear All,

Some of you have requested some pics of my French military police M1912 so here we are. These types of helmets were still in use in the french army until 1915!

Please feel free to make all the comments you wish.

Best regards to you All

Alex

IMG_1160-1.jpg

IMG_1161.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

IMG_1163.jpg

I love it! I would love to get an example of this type of helmet, but know nothing about French helmets!

James

Hello,
Please, not "Police", but "Gendarmerie".
This one is for mounted Gendarme (With tail)

Best regards \:D/

JR92 said:
Hello,
Please, not "Police", but "Gendarmerie".
This one is for mounted Gendarme (With tail)

Best regards \:D/

You are correct but there is no equivalent in the English language for "gendarmerie". So I referred to it as "military police"! :D

Being ignorant of the characteristics of these French helmets, I would like to know how you both know that this is a mounted gendarmerie helmet. Beautiful helme by the way. Brian

b.loree said:
Being ignorant of the characteristics of these French helmets, I would like to know how you both know that this is a mounted gendarmerie helmet. Beautiful helme by the way. Brian

Brian, this is because of the horse-hair tail.

Because of the yellow matal shell and white fittings, Brian. Cuirassier and Dragon helmets were the same, but colors were inverted (white metal shell and yellow fittings and chinscales)
Bruno

911car said:
Because of the yellow matal shell and white fittings, Brian. Cuirassier and Dragon helmets were the same, but colors were inverted (white metal shell and yellow fittings and chinscales)
Bruno

Together withBruno's response, you now have a complete answer Brian. :cool:

Thanks Bruno for adding to my incomplete reply.

Best wishes

Hello,

because of the horse-hair tail

Sure ! And horse tail was removed for "service à pied", (without horse).
Only officers wore a helmet with a not removable tail.

colors were inverted

Sure ! The first difference are the colours, and there are other differences, if you are interested, I could write something about it.

\:D/

Hello,

sanstitre1af5.jpg

Some differences :
Left, Dragoon, Right, Gendarme
Dragoon, Back : 2 parts more , 6 studs Gendarme: Back : one part more, 4 studs
Dragoon Chinstrap : circles Gendarme Chinstrap : Lion's heads

The "cimiers' (tops) have not the same shape (Dragoon's is taller), and the mottos are different.

Best regards

Can you show the Dragoon. currassier. and carbinier helm's and if there are differences between the cavalry ones. love French militery metal helmet's.

aterrasse said:
Dear All,

Some of you have requested some pics of my French military police M1912 so here we are. These types of helmets were still in use in the french army until 1915!

Please feel free to make all the comments you wish.

Best regards to you All

Alex

Hi Alex

Your Gendarmerie helmet looks 100 per cent good ! I don't anything wrong !

You should have the name of the producer under the tail on the neck (Franck probably)

Good evening! I apreciate that this is in reply to your post from years ago but....... I have got a 1912 gendarmes helmet exactly like yours but where-as the helmet shell on yours is brass, mine is a dark brown colour. on my helmet all the other fittings are brass. The horsehair tail is long and the chinstrap rossettes are the lionhead type. I have never seen a helmet like mine! do you know of any reason why the body of my helmet would be a bark brown colour?
Mine has the oval stamp under the horsehair tail and certainly looks original.
I could email you pictures if it would help? my email address is [email protected]
I am having difficulty putting pics on pickelhaubes.com.
Many thanks.
Rob.

Hey Rob,
In order to post photos on the site, you need to host them on another site, such as photobucket of imageshack.
Bes twihses
Gus

Back