French shakos pre-1860, info needed

historypioneer

Hi there,
I am new to this forum :)
I'd like to have some info about French shakos before 1860, especially what soldiers and officers wore in the 1859 campaign. Guess normal infantry line was equipped with the kepì om campaign as you can see in the pic I attach, but what about officers?

hope someone can help, :lol:

1237847580.jpg

Hi History Pioneer

Larmo here, I am by no means an expert in these matters but I am armed with the wonderful book, Les Coiffures de L'Armee Francaise by Margerand. The subject matter the book deals with is French Army headress from 1791 to about 1900. During the reign of Louis Napoleon there were numerous models of shakos prior to 1860 , with the immediate preceding pattern being the model 1858. Basically it was a wool covered stiff paper body with a leather visor and metal chinstrap, a large brass eagle plate bearing the regimental number adorned the front. The enlisted shakos were covered in blue wool facing cloth with a red wool band at the top and the officers in black shaved fur with a gold brocade band instead of red wool at the top, the officers eagles would have had a gilded finish. Modifications continued after the 1860 model ( the only all leather shako I believe) in 1868, and 1874 until discarded entirely for the much more comfortable and less expensive Kepi in the 1880's.

I do not have an example of the 1858 army officers shako in my own collection but do have an enlisted and officer pattern Garde Nationale shakos which are similar in design.

The image below depicts a senior officer with his pre 1860 model shako

hpqscan0001c.jpg

The second image shows a decorated officer with his 1860 model shako

hpqscan0003g.jpg

Another excellent reference is La Garde Imperiale de Napoleon III by Delperier, simply a beautiful book with color photography. Its a bit on the spendy side, around $200 US I believe.

Hope this helps a little bit, I am a student of this era also, with much to learn.
Larmo

PS
I had a big smile when I saw the photo of your French soldier, it's our good friend Titus from Paris...:cheers:

I am by no means an expert in these matters

Larry lies all the time. Besides being a nice guy he knows a lot about this early stuff don't let them fool you. The good news is that there is a good deal of membership from France -- they can always keep them honest!

Arrrgh, foiled again, thanks Jose for the nice words, but no false modesty here, really a learner I am.

It is always very impressive to me the level of knowledge and expertise displayed on this forum on a wide variety of subjects. The willingness to share and encourage others, as you and others do so often, is something very good for the hobby. So whenever a subject comes along that I can throw my limited two bits at I'm a happy guy. Cuz I really, really, REALLY like this era. Great stuff.

Larmo

right, thanks folks :)

however, what about the shako plate? I 've always thought officers wore the crowned eagle facing right with regiment number at the bottom and the company number at the top - but never understood if that was for the 1860-pattern shako or even for the 1858- and 52-patterns - whilst soldiers wore a plate with no number, crownless eagle facing left. I could be totally wrong. Here's what I found on the net, but info on second empire shakos in general are very poor.

officers

schako.jpg

line infantry

shakoinfanterie1852.jpg

any more ideas on the matter? and by the way, would u confirm that on campaign soldiers did wear the kepì intead of the shako? officers too? :?

HP

HP

Another excellent book, and one that deals exclusively with French helmet plates 1814-1870 is, Plaqaues de Shakos de shapskas, de bonnets a poils by Christian Blondieu. It displays the evolution of the headress plate as worn by all branches, cavalry, infantry, pioneers, schools etc.

I'll try and address your main question as best I can using the aforementioned book. When Napleon III became Emperor in 1852 a new shako plate was introduced to replace the fighting cock previously worn. The eagle was without a crown, faced to the right and had the regiment number or school name or other device on the ball upon which the eagle stood. As I understand this was for all ranks, officers being of a better quality. In the case of National Guard troops the eagle faced left. In 1854 the eagle gained a crown, continued to face to the right up until the end of the rule of Napoleon III, with minor changes to details, size embellishements etc.

According to the Blondieu's description the plain ball illustrated in your second photograph is perhaps a National Guard shako as the eagle faces left. If it faced right it would have been worn by veterans or disciplinary companies in line regiments.

Between the years of 1814-1870 the French army wore an amazing variety of helmet plates with changes occuring on a seemingly yearly basis. They would be a wonderful collection in their own right.

As far as confirming kepi's being exclusively being worn on campaign, that would be difficult to determine because limited photographic evidence exists for the Crimean and Italian Wars. However there was a very fine Crimean era oil painting recently sold by Hermann Historica which depicted the French troops taking a Russian artillery bastion before Sevastopol, all were shown wearing kepis. Aritistic license, maybe, but probably fairly accurate as contemporary accounts written during the Franco-German War tell of the French soldiers dislike for the shako. He much preferred the kepi. Further the pre 1860 shakos just couldn't stand up to the rigors of campaign, the weather, normal wear and tear all took their toll. In the decades prior to the American Civil War our troops wore a nearly identical pattern shako copied from the French. They too were of wool covered cardboard (to use a modern term) but when our troops took the field they wore the much more practical wheel hat, a large, floppy brimmed hat with turn down earflaps.

Again I am not an expert on this subject, these are merely my observations based on good books in my own library. Hope this helps.

Larmo

Back