Fritz WW1 Memoir of a German Lieutenant by Fritz Nagel

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I bought this book in Sept. 1995, I am now reading it for the third time and highly recommend it. Fritz was a OYV who received his one year of training in the Feld Artillery in 1912. He was a member of the 2nd Battery, 11th Hessian Field Artillery Regiment. Fritz, as a reservist had to report for duty August 4, 1914. Subsequently, he fought until the war ended in 1918. As a result, there is a huge amount of information within the pages of this volume and it is one of the few books printed in English which describes the experiences of a WW1 German soldier. By 1917, Fritz was a lieutenant commanding a truck mounted flack unit on the western front and credited with downing two Allied aircraft. Here is the information which will aid anyone who wishes to track down a copy of this book:
Fritz The World War One Memoir of a German Lieutenant
Author: Fritz Nagel, Edited by Richard A. Baumgartner
Publisher: Blue Acorn Press, 1995
ISBN: 0-9604770-0-4
First published in 1981
I highly recommend this book.

Thanks for mentioning this book Brian! I acquired my copy in 1997 when I worked at Manion's Auction House, as they had several copies they were selling at the time. I highly recommend it also. I've only read my copy once, and you've inspired me to read it again.

Another book I read recently for the first time is the classic "Storm of Steel" by Ernst Junger. That guy must have had 9-lives. It's a miracle he survived all the combat he saw. I highly recommend this book as well.

Best Regards,

Alan

Yes Alan , I have Storm by EJ as well. He was very lucky to have survived. He wrote a second volume as well, I forget the title but it is rare and expensive.

Back