Frohliche Weihnachten

Wyliecoyote

Merry Christmas!

Landsturm Men of the 39th Infanterie Brigade, Tenth Armeekorps armed with Gewehr 88 rifles and S71 bayonets. Sign reads "Merry Christmas Munster 1914." Dated Munsterlager, 23 Dezember 1914.

8213072621_d2eb0771c7_b.jpg

We've had snow in this region tonight, if it lasts until morning, a white Christmas!

The author of this postcard, Hermann Steinhoff is identified by the X and arrow.

Munsterlager, d(en) 23.12.14

Lieber Schwager & Schwägerin u(nd) Torsten
lange habe ich euch warten lassen(.) ich habe diese Tage nach Lina geschrieben(,) das(s) ich Weihnachten auf Urlaub käme(.) das ist wieder nichts geworden. ich denke doch(,) das(s) Anni und Hermann hinfährt nach Freden(.) das Hannoversche{s} Bat(ai)l(lon) rückt nach Wei(h)nachten ins Feld(.) nun müssen wir immer feste auf Wache ziehen(.)
Lieber Schwager(,) nun feiere im Kreise deiner Familie gute{n} Wei(h)nachten(.)
Mit bestem Gruß
Hermann (Steinhoff)

English translation:
Munsterlager, 23 December 1914

Dear brother-in-law, sister(?) and Torsten,
I've let you wait for a long time. A few days ago I wrote to Lina that I would come on leave for Christmas. Again, it didn't work out. I assume that Anni and Hermann will travel to Freden [a small village not far from Göttingen]. The battalion from Hannover is going to depart for the front after Christmas. Now we have to go on guard duty all the time.
Dear brother-in-law, have a good Christmas surrounded by your family.
Best regards,
Hermann (Steinhoff)

Christmas hasn't changed much over the last 98 years, where it really counts, Family!

Merry Christmas one and all!

Albeit slightly belated, Seasons Greetings to you too Sensei, great photo! =D>

The composition is a little off though, I might have moved the kneeling guy to a flank and found a partner for him on the other side - you know, symmetry. At least that way he'd be in focus.

Thanks for your assistance and guidance with my little Flickr project throughout the year, as always, your sage advice is always very much appreciated.

Zittau Grenzwache, Landsturm Infantry Ersatz Battalion 'Seifhennersdorf' (XII 15) by drakegoodman, on Flickr

Cheers,

Brett

Back