From a Place in the Sun - 1896 Pattern Sun Helmet

Peter_Suciu

This helmet needed a bit of careful "restoring" and while not perfect looks better than when I bought it recently. The dome was crushed and I carefully tried to reblock it. But this is a fairly desireable helmet in any condition.

The Model 1896 pattern sun helmet, used by Schutztruppen for German East Africa and Cameroon.

GermanM1896-2.jpg

GermanM1896-1.jpg

I'll snap a picture of the liner this week. I think this helmet, and some work around the house nearly killed me. I fertilized the lawn and accidentially injested some of it when I got a splinter and tried to use my teeth to "bite" it out of my hand, then because I don't have a shop vaccum I used the leaf blower to get the dust and dirt out the garage when I cleaned it and finally worked on this helmet with special not-non-toxic fabric glue and for reasons that escape me didn't wear gloves. I've had chills and aches for two days. I was tempted to go call poison control but I'm on the mend! And I have a find looking lawn, clean garage and a lovely helmet so it is probably worth taking a few years off my life. :-"

I fertilized the lawn and accidentially injested some of it when I got a splinter and tried to use my teeth to "bite" it out of my hand, then because I don't have a shop vaccum I used the leaf blower to get the dust and dirt out the garage when I cleaned it and finally worked on this helmet with special not-non-toxic fabric glue and for reasons that escape me didn't wear gloves.

Peter you have turned into Gus!

Hey Peter, fertilizer is not toxic, unless it is organic, and even that is not really toxic, it is the pathogens in it that is dangerous,
Best
gus

Peter_Suciu said:
I'll snap a picture of the liner this week. I think this helmet, and some work around the house nearly killed me. I fertilized the lawn and accidentially injested some of it when I got a splinter and tried to use my teeth to "bite" it out of my hand, then because I don't have a shop vaccum I used the leaf blower to get the dust and dirt out the garage when I cleaned it and finally worked on this helmet with special not-non-toxic fabric glue and for reasons that escape me didn't wear gloves. I've had chills and aches for two days. I was tempted to go call poison control but I'm on the mend! And I have a find looking lawn, clean garage and a lovely helmet so it is probably worth taking a few years off my life. :-"

You must suffer for your hobby Peter, and this find was well worth suffering for. Well done!
Cheers
Chris

chrispaulodale said:
Peter_Suciu said:

You must suffer for your hobby Peter, and this find was well worth suffering for. Well done!
Cheers
Chris

I agree, I would put up tihe a couple days of chills for this lid.
Best
Gus

Back