Fuerhelm. Which Wappen?

seagull

This is a Fuerhelm, at least that was the concensus when I posted it some time ago, before I reattached the front visor. I continue to wonder which wappen ought to be on it as there is no 'ghost' on the skull - however the mounting holes may provoke some suggestions. The main wappen mounting holes are 75mm apart, measuring from the inner edges of the holes, and there are two smaller indents 48mm apart, implying a badge 'overlaid' on the main device. Any ideas?
Also, I have to ask if it was normal for a fire service helmet to use Star bolts on the spike base and have both Prussian and reichskokarden (Officer grade)?
Here is an example I thought might be the one but now, not so sure,..Fire Service Helmet2.jpg

Now mine,..DSCF9263.JPG

Lacking any books on fire service helms I welcome any suggestions,
Steve

Thanks for the links and for confirming the starbolt/cockade regulations Sandy. Still looking for possibles as every example seen so far doesn't seem to fit the evidence on the skull. I'm pretty sure there was some kind of large Prussian eagle wappen there as the front star bolt is replaced by a small (period) ordinary round headed bolt - implying it was covered by the eagle's crown. The normal fire service eagle usually has the small 'crossed axes and helm' badge on it - not big enough to need mountings 48mm apart. A real puzzle.
Steve

The most common one that I have seen is the Rhineland one. Eagle is the same as in your photo example but green shield on breast with diagonal wavy line. I guess this represents the river. All fittings are silver.

This photo was all I could find for a wappen that might fit.
I can be wrong though, I know nothing about feuerwher helmets..

Regards, Coert.

That makes two of us Coert, although in my case all I know about haubes in general is what this forum teaches me! Brian, I know the Rhineland wappen from internet pictures and wonder if the green shield is big enough to need two horizontal screw fittings 48mm apart? If anyone has one of these perhaps they would be good enough to measure it?
Thanks, Steve

Back