G stands for?

joerookery said:
Ok so the twin with a G?!?!?!?

Almost. Nothing chemically darkened on that Stahlblech. The Wappen and M15 spike are painted. However, it's a fantastic piece. Laurie, are you reading this?

Perhaps these were designated for use on the Galician Front. A lot of Ersatz show up in the East.

Thank you also for the Chemie information. This forum will make a metallurgist of you yet.

Chas.

It's coming, Otto. I just need to get organized.

Chas. :wink:

Getting back to that wonderful photo of the Landsturm soldier, his shoulder straps are plain, because all Landsturm tunic straps were plain. Even though regulations stated that the collar unit insignia would be the same on the tunic and the overcoat, I have an example of a removable strap with the unit numbers on it. In this photo, the strap would have been blue for infantry and made from a woven cotton material called "Gurtband". This pattern of shoulder strap was particular to Landwehr troops and came in branch colors. Due to their plain appearance, they do not surface with any regularity. I have been looking for field artillery (red) and pioneer (black) examples for over 40 years.

Chip

joerookery said:
Chas tell us the story!!!

rendsburg said:
...and the story ?

You're bound to be disappointed; it's something of a spoiler, and, way, way off topic.

Tisse.jpg

The subject in the photo is Eduard Tisse (aka, Edouard Tissé, Edward Tissé) 1897-1961. Tisse was a Russian born cinematographer who collaborated with director Sergei Eisenstein to create some of the Soviet Union's most celebrated popaganda films, chief among these are: Bronenosets Potyomkin (Battleship Potemkin, 1925), Stachka (Strike, 1925), and Aleksandr Nevskiy (Alexander Nevsky, 1938). For further information on Eisenstein see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Eisenstein

And, for Tisse (you'll need some German, here):

http://www.deutsches-filminstitut.de/dt2tp0123.htm

In 1927, Eisenstein was commissioned by the government to direct a film commemorating the tenth anniversary of the Bolshevik Revolution. The result was Oktyabr (October).

In this film, Tisse appears in a brief cameo that was also the first sequence staged before the camera. He plays a German officer whose men fraternize with Russian troops after the announcement of the Tsar's abdication and the fall of the monarchy. The scene plays out when it is announced that the Provisional Government, lead by Kerensky, has every intention of continuing the war with Germany. The short lived fraternity dissolves into a frenzied scramble by the Russian troops to their trenches under the fire of Maxims.

This sequence provides a cinematographic bounty of Ersatz Pickelhauben (all Preußen and mostly Filz).

The production still above is from the collection of the late Eisenstein scholar, Jay Leyda, who was a Professor at NYU when I attended film school there in the 1980s.

Thank goodness I can't hear the boos.

Chas. :roll:

Hi Chas,
Way off topic or not, nice story. I ever loved Cinema and Eisenstein was one of my prefered movie makers. I see "Encouraçado Potemkin" (Battleship Potemkin) thousand times and Alexander Nevsky too.The photo of Edouard Tissé wearing the Pickelhaube is amazing.
Otto

Just a thought on the stahlblech helmets. While I am not a machinist, I have hung around with some, and I don't believe these helmets were turned on a lathe. You would have a hell of a lot of wasted material, the lathe would have to be huge, it is very labor intensive, not to mention the problem of fitting it to the chuck. It is much more probable that these helmets were stamped on electrically heated dies, just like the stahlhelm. The rings visible on the helmets are a result of the tool marks left on the die when it was machined. They just didn't spend too much time and effort polishing the dies, since the helmet had a matt painted finish anyway. This is all conjecture of course, but it makes a lot more sense to me.

Steve

ottodog8 said:
//The rings visible on the helmets are a result of the tool marks left on the die when it was machined.//
Thank you Steve for an explanation that actually makes sense. I was never comfortable with the "machining" idea.

Back