Garde Artillery Regt. - 18 Res. Div. question

drakegoodman

Letter on reverse (below) generously translated Marshall V. Daut: dated 9.6.1915 and addressed to a Landsturmmann Heinrich Beckmann of Garde Landsturm Bataillon Döberitz, with admin / postage cancellation stamp from 18 Reserve Division.

These fellows appear to be from the 1st Garde Feldartillerie Regiment, I. or II. Battalion, at least based on what appears to be the bursting cannonball with wings and white-piped shoulder straps.

The admin stamp on the reverse is from the 18 Reserve Division, yet there is no mention of a GFAR in this Division's order of battle. Has anyone got any gen on the 1. GFAR that may shed light on why these guys are attached to the 18 Res. Div.? Could it be as simple as them sharing a K.D. Feldpost-Expedition?

Geschützbedienung (gun crew) with their 10cm Kanone 04/12 by drakegoodman, on Flickr

10cm Kanone reverse by drakegoodman, on Flickr

"the 9.6.15,

Dear Fri (friend) Heinrich!

Have received your photograph today, it's worth keeping. Thank you for that. This is the second guncrew. Otherwise there's nothing new. To our left was a strong but unsuccessful Fri (French) attack. With best wishes I remain your friend Heinrich"

Looks like you could get a good close-up of the straps. I could give you a definite ID from that. The back of the card looks like it shows the sender being from 8/2 G.(Garde) Art. Bty. 9. Res.Korps. I can find no Garde artillery attached to the Korps, so I suspect that the artillery might have been sector troops. Probably can clear this up with a postive ID of the unit.

Chip

Back