Garde Arty M15, Saxon JR179 Pics

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
OK so that last post worked...I'm feelin smug (Margo only had to help me once). Lets try 2 more. These pics speak for themselves but also illustrate just how shiny the original helme finish was. The Garde Arty M15 is a killer helme!! Brian

Untitled-25.jpg

Untitled-22.jpg
[

After seeing the mirror finishes on the helmets on Brian's pics in this thread, it got me thinking. Were there private purchase gray metal helmets for enlisted personnel? Were there garnitur levels on M-15 feldgrau helmets? Were all enlisted helmets initally finished that way? Obviously, they were in use for a limited amount of time and presumably the prewar helmets would still be used for the friedensuniform.

Regards

Dave

Hi Guys:
Mike , I look forward to seeing some of your pics. I know that we can all learn a great deal from these pieces of photo history. Dave some really interesting questions. I have no answers but perhaps we can generate some on this part of the forum. Brian

Brian:

I noted the absence of cyphers or bombs on the shoulderstraps on your guard artillery pic, so you have a great shot of a Kanonier from the Garde-Fussartillerie-Regiment (there was only one). He appears to be wearing "simplified" unpiped boards sewn onto the shoulders of the waffenrock and M-1915 subdued litzen (typically found on bluses).

Dave

There were eventually three Garde Fußartillerie regiments, the 2nd regiment was formed upon mobilization in 1914 and the 3rd was formed in 1917. This particular photo does show a member of the 1st Garde Fußart. Rgt. The collar Litzen are not those authorized for the Bluse in September of 1915. The gray center stripe (between the Litze) identifies them as the simplified version of the 1907 pattern, which was introduced in March of 1915.

Chip

Nice stuff Brian. It's funny how you dont think of the M15 helmets as ever having looked this pristine and elegant. I definately think the M15 EM Garde helm packs a vibe.

These 2 pictures really demonstrate the need for the uberzug (cloth cover) especially if we combine the M95 helme with brass fittings with that shiny shellac finish.Two hundred soldiers walking around without covers would have really reflected a great deal of sunlight. Brian

Back