Garde Dragoner #1 Restoration

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned previously, this is a family piece which dates to approx 1882. It is a private purchase helme, with some officer characteristics, namely the partial chin scales, wappen and the liner. It does have the older style (pre 1887) OR's spike base with pearl ring but unfortunately, the spike is missing as is the Garde stern for the wappen. To complicate things, not only is the spike missing but the nut soldered to the spike neck into which the spike top screws is also absent. So, even if one had an officer style spike top, there is nothing for it to screw into.

Both visors need a restitch. The front visor has been pushed in by the wappen and has a split in it, the rear visor is also misshapen. I will try and reshape these using the plastic bag and wet news paper hydration method described in many posts. Once moisture has been reintroduced to the leather, they will be blocked back into original form.
So, my friends, lets have a look at the pre restoration fotos :

This was the first collage of helmet pictures sent to me by my customer Larry, this is his GG Father's helmet. Obviously, Larry has done some research on The Kaiser's Bunker which is to his credit.

So, back to problems....we are missing convex chin scales, spike top and Garde Stern. The first 2 items, are certainly seen for sale on various sites regularly......but a private purchase GARDE STERN ????? MEIN GOTT! Unlike the Meck helme there was no calling Houston on this one! However, when in doubt, you email Dallas TX, to the most experienced and helpful collector/dealer that you know....Randy T at Age of Kings. I send RT pics of the helme and he responds with pics of a Dragoner cruciform OR's spike and base plus, a beautiful OYV/NCO stern. The stern is not totally officer but neither is our helme...no enamel but certainly private purchase, a perfect match! A huge thanks, to Randy Trawnik at Age of Kings for providing the missing parts on this piece of family History! :thumb up:

Some pics of the helme after being taken apart:

That diagonal line in the finish on the left side is actually a tear in the visor, we are going to have to deal with that as well.

Missing 2 screw post spike base bolts as well. Thanks James for sending those!

Side view with rear visor removed. Note the spine simply curves under the rear visor, there is no screw post or Off style split brad pin which we normally see.

Some corrosion on the fittings...Larry wants these cleaned. Pay close attention dear friends, to the shape of the spine brads, lock that away in your brains for future reference. These are originals and have never been played with! :)

The unique private purchase 1842-1880 liner, quite rare in my experience. Characteristics: no silk, square tips with 2 holes and cross hatching finish to the leather. Condition is excellent and like all PvtP liners the ends are glued together NOT stitched as with the OR's liners. The name glued into the helmet has no meaning to the family...perhaps this was a used helmet bought to equip the GGF, we will never know.

The restorer frequently encounters spider nests underneath the rear spines of pickelhauben. :) Of note here.....the Dragoner split brads are not holding the spine to the leather visor, they are bent back flat. Two soldered brads have been put on the spine to serve that purpose......never seen that before. :eek: Again, a good shot of that spine tang which has no screw post, split brad or soldered "spike" to fasten it to the rear visor. This and the above mentioned split brads, are unique which is again, a characteristic of the PrivP helmets. A last comment, all spines for cruciform spike base helmets are cut in a " V " shape on the end so they can fit under the arm of the spike base.

Rear visor, convex bosses, partial scales plus only one Prussian Kokarde which is correct for this 1882 helme. Again, the kokarde is not NCO or Officer style which tends to make me think OYV, someone with no rank but enough money to buy this helmet. No red or green glued cloth liners to the visors either. To be continued......

Pretty bad, when I post a reply to my own original post? Yea, well anyway once a teacher.......probably why this forum keeps me sane, well almost. I just want to alert new/intermediate collectors to look closely at all the pictures I post in all of these restorations. I am a firm believer in.."a picture represents a thousand words" and that is how I taught and collected, as do many of the Uber collectors in this field. The top collectors, collect original fotos, so they can reference original "visuals" of what they may be offered for sale. My forum and my good friend Tony Schnurr's Kaiser's Bunker, represent opportunities for you to learn, and see originals, for free.
My restoration section, differs in the fact, that I am paid to take them apart and I explain to you, how they were made and what to look for. In this case, we are looking at a piece of History from the 1880's straight from the family, a time capsule, something, which unlike previous examples, has never been glued or collector messed with. Yea, obviously it has been played with ( by kids, probably), and that's why the missing parts and damage, so what? This is a survivor, some would describe this as a "Beater", some would have broken it up and sold it for parts on Ebay. Well, thanks to Larry's pride in family, that's not going to happen. This came from a family of farmers in East Prussia who, settled in America. Subsequent generations, had no clue as to what it really was and we will get into that with Larry's permission. Even the Uber collectors will be watching. So there it is, I am a type A personality, I try to help, I show you, but it is up to you to learn, I provide the opportunity. There it is....B

the one thing i can say is that you do a hell of a job by restoring these items
there has always been a teatcher and students so now you get all the credit ](*,)
i cant undestand where you get the patients to work on these helmets
i would get crazy if i had to restore a helmet
but thanks to you those helmets begin there second live after the restauration :bravo:

jonas

I have said this many times, Brian does great work and works on all my repairs, other then dropping a helmet every once in awhile :D he is the best I know.

James

Thanks Jonas, James and Francis for your support. I think you have to be a bit of a Romantic to get into this hobby of ours, most of the world out there could care less about these survivors of the "Human Comedy" but we do and that is all that matters. It keeps an old man busy! :D . James, I owe you a beer for your patience, a real Canuck Beer, hopefully you will be able to have one at the SOS because I am bringing some across the border. Your Garde helme looks great and it will be mailed out this coming Friday without fail. Best to everyone, Brian

You really want to impress me, find me a Molson Brador beer!!!

I think they quit making it years ago....

James

Unfortunately, no longer available. That was really potent stuff even by Canuck standards, I think it was 8%. With your last name you could always order the Canadiene Francais favourite which is "Cinquante" or Labatts 50. However, after an evening with Cinquante you can expect some vicious smelling gas the next morning! :lol:

I contacted Larry and he gave his permission for me to post some extra fotos which give more information on the helmet and its owner Christ Flatau born Dec 24 1862 at Kreis Mohrungen in East Prussian about 50 miles from Danzig:

This first image taken approx 1903 shows Christ wearing a Dragoner tunic, cavalry belt, helme, sword knot and sabre. The helme wappen was later scratched out by an over zealous daughter during WW1 who thought neighbours would think they were German supporters because Dad was pictured wearing a Prussian helmet. Despite the "scratch out", we can easily see the squared visor of the helme. It had come down through the family to Larry that Christ had served in JR 128 beginning 1882 but the picture does not support this neither does the helmet and sword which the family still has:

Even I with my small knowledge of uniforms, knew that this was no Infantryman. Plus, the helmet, the sabre, sword knot, tunic...it is all private purchase, no farm boy in the 1st Dragoner Regt would have been allowed to walk off with this government property. This was all news to Larry, because he had the impression that his German ancestors were not well off. They may have been that way when they immigrated to the US but someone had money in 1882 to equip Christ with private purchase gear. It may have been used gear and thus, the "Fred H " label in the helme but it was not government issue. Thanks to Tony S...cavalry sabre model 1856 and an etched piece at that! There is no government issued gear here. Any comments from members who can provide extra information would be much appreciated.

Thanks to Randy Trawnik, from AofK we got the missing parts for this project. Again, the luck or call it whatever to find these parts especially the Garde Stern blows my mind. If I had been Randy with this star, I would have kept it, no way would I part with such a piece. Anyway, I am a selfish only child so maybe that explains my attitude. Even the spike top fit perfectly into the original base and neck.....the God's are certainly on Larry's side here! So, this is where we are at right now:

The star did not match up perfectly so I had a friend, Sean Foley who is a master of things metal move the prongs on the piece so it fit perfectly. I can resolder prongs on spines or loops on OR wappen but when it comes to this type of thing I call Sean. The wappen will now be cleaned. The spike and visor trim as they look now:

Remember, Larry wants the fittings cleaned up. The spike and base from AofK was heavily patinated, a dark brown colour. I am super pleased, that I was able to keep the original spike base, not only because this is a 133 year old family piece but because it fits perfectly with the shell as it is now.

The Wappen after cleaning today:

The other fittings have also been cleaned and are ready to be put back on.

I sold Larry a set of refurbished convex scales and took his originals in trade. You will see them when the helmet is finished.

"Houston, yet another problem:" It is never easy stitching 133 year old leather, I had just finished the second pass on the rear visor when approx an inch of stitching split apart along the stitch line. The only solution, is glue unfortunately and a bit of finish to hide things. I have run into this before, and had I known this was going to happen, I would have glued a thin strip of linen cloth behind those stitch holes. Then at least, the thread would have something to hold on to. The white linen is dyed black so it does not show....yet another secret from the "Haube Clinic". Here is the picture:

This brought to mind an incident which happened years ago, when I let my ex brother in law who is CN military shine a Baden M 95 OR haube. His vigorous military brushing tore half the stitch line on the rear visor which I had just finished stitching. :( And no, that is not why I divorced his sister, Logan's Mom. :)

The front visor had a split in it, solution: glue a thin leather patch behind and apply finish to the front.

The white dots in the picture are mini snow flakes, we actually had UG! :x a snow squall warning Fri and Sat! The finish shown still has to be sanded, there are 3 coats on there. I am not going to fill it in entirely, as it matches the other marks on the visor. The patch can not extend down to the edge of the visor because the brass trim will not fit back on if this was done.

First a picture of the partially glued stitch line, I don't like to do this obviously but this visor corner could not be left without being held down some how. One brush against it by someone handling the helmet could tear it even further. This will be smoothed out a bit and coloured with finish.

Next, we encounter 2 more problem while completing the front visor stitch. First another small section of the stitch line tears in the middle where the tail of the wappen pressed the shell inward over the years....no problem, we can fix that. Then, the kicker..... :x I have lined the stitch holes up exactly, I have completed the first pass of stitching without any trouble. I am approaching the finish on the second pass, I am almost back to the right hand corner of the visor when I see this:

The tip of the visor is covering the hole where the split brad goes to hold the brass trim on. :eek:
The left side is lined up perfectly:

The stitching across the front looks good except for where the thread pulled through:

What has happened here?? Shrinkage my friends with a capital S which also is found in the slang term....."THIS SUCKS!!" The shell has shrunk over 133 years but the visor has not due to the visor trim. The visor has been swinging free held by the trim once all the stitching broke. I decided to measure the shrinkage. The piece was marked originally as a size 55 1/2 cm. It now measures (using a cloth measure tape) approx 51 cm around the inner circumference of the shell with liner folded in. 4 cm is a significant change in size. Both visors separated from the shell and the both spine prongs broken away from their solder, all of this is the result of the shell shrinking over time due to dry environmental conditions. To be continued....at present the helmet is being hydrated in a large sealed plastic bag.

Sure this baby will shine again in its former glory!
Great magic !
and....one nice Garde Stern!
Francis

i know one thing for sure you 'r doing a hell of a job restoring pickelhaubes
magic hands
do you know the meaning of the word stress
i gues not becose you nearley finish't the job
i would turn insane if i had to give it a try

jonas

Thanks Jonas. In truth, it is stressful, on other helmets you are dealing with pieces that are worth, $400, $1,000, $1,800, $2K, whatever. They are all special to their owner's. This also explains, my joke post about $4K on my barbeque this summer. This piece is special because it is a family piece,(133 yrs) we got the missing pieces from AofK which was a miracle. My friend Sean put the new star on perfectly and the wappen cleaned up beautifully, stitching went well.....then bam!! a kick to the head :( . However, I am hydrating the piece with a hat stretcher in it and hopefully, we can stretch the leather back out a bit. Realistically though, I am going to have to punch a new hole for the split brad trim fastener. I am also wondering about the rear spine, are we going to have trouble there?? :?
PS....Yes Francis, a beautiful wappen now that it is complete. It is also perfect for this helme which is private purchase but not officer.

The helme was completed today when I put the fittings back on. The shell was polished with black shoe polish before hand. The front visor trim that I was so worried about went back on easily although, I did have to punch a new hole for the split brad because of the shrinkage. The photos:

Everything polished up pretty well on a 133 year old helme. Yes, I know, the scales are a bit too long but I only had one set to work with.

Again evidence of the 4 cm shrinkage.

Again, my thanks to Randy Trawnik at A of K for his help in providing missing parts, Tony Schnurr for identifying Christ's sword, James LeBrasseur for providing the 2 missing domed screw post spike base brads and Sean Foley for moving the star prongs. Last but not least, Larry for entrusting me with this family piece. A happy ending after all Houston!
PS: I put the kokarde back in the correct position....right side! :)

you ended your job greatly
but for me this is a shiny one
i like them more when the have a patine or in my way fieldgray

that is why for now i do not collect officer pickelhaubes just the enlisted men's haubes

jonas

I understand Jonas..."Suum Quinque" to each his own. Larry wanted it polished to look like new, so that is what I did. You prefer them left unpolished, if I restored a helme of yours, then that is exactly what I would do, leave it alone. :)

Back