Garde du Corps officer's helmet - dodgy wappen?

Bungo

Hello all,

So this is at the expensive end of our collecting obsession.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Prussian-M1867-Officers-Garde-Du-Corps-Helmet-/291654165873?hash=item43e7f16571:g:rVcAAOSwYIhWjTQT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now I am no expert on GdK helms, but I am curious: is that wappen authentic? It looks a little too amateur to me, a little bit "my aunty took a class in wire bending". I expect more from an elite unit...

What say the experts?

Cheers,
Bungo

Well I feel happy that I picked it as suspect. Not that I was considering purchasing, I most definitely do not have the spare funds to buy it, but I can dream ;)

Also, would a GdK officer have leather lining or silk like normal officer helmets?

I pity anyone who pays the asking price of almost 11,000 quid. As was mentioned elsewhere on this forum, all it takes is one sucker to make it very worthwhile for unscrupulous sellers...

Any officer lobster metal helmes that I have seen have the typical officer style liner....calf skin sweat band with ribbed silk bag stitched on. The "tail" of the helme will have black "velvet like" cloth glued to it and the under side of the visor... thin green leather. I am sure there will be variations but these are the liner characteristics which I have seen in my travels. Rule Britannia!

Back