Garde M15? Tschako

Have the photos worked ok?
New computer, first attempts at posting photos on this forum, they appear as thumbnails that expand when double clicked?
(I haven't worked out why I'm posting so many typos - I'll blame the new keyboard).
The badge is magnetic, most of the grey paint now worn off.

Does anyone have any views on this badge please?
Good or bad, could it be an insignia for an item other than headgear?
It's presumably a 1915 wappen, given the fact it's magnetic metal, grey painted, has wire loops as per a wappen but given that the rays of the star actually over lapping the bandeau are the opposite configuration to the norm, is it actually a Garde Jaeger / Schutzen wappen, that of a different unit, a shabraque ornament or similar, or an out & out fantasy item?

The wappen is in my opinion original, everything is correct except for the non regulation positioning of those "rays". As to whether it was an ornament from some other form of equipment or piece, I doubt it. However, if you can give us the vertical and horizontal dimensions then we can compare size to other regular Garde M15 shako wappen that members have. If dimensions are the same then I would say that this is original and yet another non regulation piece from Imperial Germany. We have already seen many on the forum. One last thing, which I do not see being asked.......any markings on the inside of the shako? If there are and they are clearly Garde then this is a no brainer and we have a legitimate manufacturing screw up here.

I will post photos of the tschako & its markings.
The star measures 9.5 cm from tip of ray to tip of ray, & the circular scroll 7cm in diameter from & to the outer edge.
The tschako has metal ringed fixation holes, which the star fits perfectly - however there has at one time been a different design of wappen fitted with wider spaced holes piercing the leather, possibly a Prussian line eagle, very hard to tell from the slight impression left.
Also, there is the very distict impression of a cockade being worn on the left side as well as the right.
Genuine reich cockade, no field cockade, replacement chin strap.
There is a "1915" stamp inside along with a Stuttgart manufacturers mark & what could be a faint unit stamp.
Close up photos should produce more detail, certainly re. the manufacturers name.
A Garde tscako later used by post war police or post office?

Back