Garde pioneer flamethrower

USN

Good evening gentlemen,

I was lucky enough to come across this wonderful period photo post card of an NCO from the garde pioneer regiments flamethrower company. It looks like this was trimmed by the person who originally received it in order to fit in a frame and was then unfortunately glued into a photo album. But it does have a great shot of the flamethrower skull on the left cuff and has flammenwerferzug written as apart of the address on the back. I am having a hard time reading just about everything else though. As always thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Many Thanks,
USN

Screenshot_20240324_170912_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20240324_170918_eBay.jpg

I tried doing a little research but I can't make out his first name so its proving difficult.

I would be looking for W Billerbeck. It almost looks like it was mailed to the guy in the photo. Who knows maybe he had the photo made and sent on to him while with his unit.

There is no home address, street name or even a state. It was mailed to the Sturmbataillon how cool is that (y)(y)(y)

I love the photo; I remember trying to get that beautiful tunic from Micheal Baldwins collection when he passed. It was one of those things where no matter what you bid someone just keeps on going. :cry:

I would be looking for W Billerbeck. It almost looks like it was mailed to the guy in the photo. Who knows maybe he had the photo made and sent on to him while with his unit.

There is no home address, street name or even a state. It was mailed to the Sturmbataillon how cool is that (y)(y)(y)

I love the photo; I remember trying to get that beautiful tunic from Micheal Baldwins collection when he passed. It was one of those things where no matter what you bid someone just keeps on going. :cry:
I remember watching his collection sell without a hope in the world of winning anything haha I knew all the big time collectors would swoop in. But the "address" is surprisingly what caught my eye and I didn't notice the skull until after I had read the back, so I would say it is a very interesting example!

There has been some very interesting updates on the information of this card, I'd like to give credit to the individuals that found it on a different forum so I will post the link here. Hopefully that is allowed.

Hi USN,
Interesting postcard!
I'm not so convinced the sender is "Schlodder", rather someone that references the 2nd company and Ltn Schlodder, as sender details were typically written like "Abs. rank (first name) last name, unit information" which I don't see here. The sender's information might have been cut off when the postcard was cropped :)
Imo the picture shows a (senior) NCO, with a uniform modified to look like an officer's uniform, and an NCO communicating with an NCO makes good sense.
Regards,
Lars

Back