Garde Pionier - Back from the Dead

A

Anonymous

In September 2000, when I was just breaking into this hobby, I purchased the following item through an eBay auction for $382.00. Don't ask me what I thought I was doing, but I half believed this was an M15 some vet had supercharged by slapping on a cavalry eagle. Below are the eBay pictures.

2eBayGP.jpg

1eBayGP.jpg

The following is a verbatim transcription of the seller's description:

VENTAGE WW I OFFICER SPIKE HELMET THERE IS NO LINER OR COVER AND THERE IS SOME CRAYZING ON THE LATHER BUT ALL IN ALL A GOOD EXAMPLE

Believe it or not, Randy Trawnik was also bidding on this (solely for the Dragoner/JzP Wappen).

When it arrived, I removed the Wappen (M95, by the way) and regarded my folly. The party responsible for affixing the Dragoner Adler made the Wappen fit by punching two more holes in the shell. The shell itself resembled alligator hide, and the front visor was loose. The visors were Vulkanfibre; therefore, I assumed the entire helmet was also. Certainly, it was the ugliest helmet I had purchased to date. The seller was wrong about one thing, though. The helmet had a liner, in fact quite a good one.

Furthermore, it was also an M95 Pionier helmet. Despite this revelation, the helmet soon came to repose in a forgotten corner of the basement. It's primary function: to occasionally model Überzug for the camera.

One day, while procrastinating, I decided to clean the Helm up a bit with a new polish I was experimenting with, Simichrome. I polished the spike cone and visor trim, but that was about all. Back it went to the basement. Below is how it appeared at the time

Pionier-front.jpg

In the process of fiddling with it, I took a closer look at the linen tag inside. This was the first time I noticed the GP (Garde Pionier?). The distance between the remaining grommet and the larger hole seemed to suport this theory; appropriate spacing for a Garde Adler!

Pionier-Muller.jpg

Years passed. In January 2005, I decided I was sick of having this thing on my hands and thought I might sell it for parts. However, the spectre of taking a loss on my "investment" eventually prompted me in a different direction, to restore the Helm to some semblance of its former glory.

I took the helmet with me on a visit to Brian and left it with him to have the extra holes filled and the visor restitched. While he worked on it, I set about locating a silver Garde Adler, which proved easier than expected. Helmut Weitze had three to choose from. The one I purchased did not come cheaply though, and cost almost as much as the helmet had. I mailed the Adler to Brian so he could fit it to the helmet before patching the shell.

When Brian was stitching the visor, he made an interesting discovery. As mentioned previously, the visors were Vulkanfibre; however, the shell turned out to be lacquered felt. Small wonder the surface was so crazed. Think of it, a prewar M95 Garde helmet made of felt and celluloid. As Joe might say, conventional wisdom regarding Ersatz was turned on its ear.

Today was a good day for photography, and I decided to post these new pictures of the revamped helmet (though it is still not complete). Unfortunately, the spike managed to break away from its base and is due to be resoldered. I also need to find a Pionier chinstrap or flat chinscales. I'm going to hold out for the real thing; no compromises now. Dave Mosher was kind enough to give me a pair of original Pionier Knopf 91 hooks, so at least the helmet can be displayed with Kokarden.

Here it is; my folly.

1GP.jpg

2GP.jpg

3GP.jpg

4GP.jpg

Chas.

Goodness this is great!
a prewar M95 Garde helmet made of felt and celluloid
What makes you think it's prewar? The extremely cool tag is the very first three that I have seen. Nothing like being Müller number three!
I cannot read the tag entirely, but does it not say recruit depot of the guard pioneer Ersatz Battalion?

Can you make out the top line, his rank?
I love this stuff!

joerookery said:
I cannot read the tag entirely, but does it not say recruit depot of the guard pioneer Ersatz Battalion?

Hi Joe:

I think you are correct. Müller III held the rank of "Pionier" (sapper, I guess).

As for the prewar assumption, Brian told me to say it. He did, he did, he did! :cry:

Chas.

joerookery said:
What makes you think it's prewar?
I say "pre-war as well, as it is just easier than saying (deep beath...):

"Pickelhaube made with German-silver fittings prior to the introduction of Feldgrau steel fittings in 1915"

Yes! The quality of the furniture is so high there is nothing to suggest the ersatz shell and visors were necessitated by wartime hardship. Rather, the composition seems to be a deliberate attempt to create a lightweight helmet more comfortable for the wearer. As we know, Garde regiments got the best of everything.

I've been wrong before....

Chas.

Alas, no, just the linen tag. The undersides of the Vulkanfibre visors are black also. Any unit markings would have to be in colored ink to register.

Chas.

What makes you think that this is private purchase? Bill

I do not think it is. It is the only explanation I can come up with though that would make Chas's theory somewhat palatable to me. I think it's an ersatz helmet.

The Neumann catalog showed that you could have a private purchase helmet that looked like an issue helmet. So I'm simply stretching the limits of the possible.

Chas: The word Pionier on the name tag refers to the owners military specialty and is not a rank. Enlisted personnel in poinier units were called pioniers. A few other examples; troops in fusilier units often used the title Fusilier. Medics used the title sanitats soldat or sanitats gefreiter, Jaegers used the title Jaeger and misicians used either hornist or tambour. In Bavarian infantry units the name infantrist was frequently used as a title.

Reservist1

Well, since I worked on this baby I guess I should put in my 2 cents worth. One thing that Chas did not mention is that the inside of the shell is painted with a tan coloured paint to simulate the colour of leather. Initially, when Chas and I both checked it over we thought that due to the rough texture of the inside plus colour that this shell might have be some sort of fibre glass shell.
However, once I started the re stitch I quickly realized that I was dealing with a felt helme.
Now as to private purchase or not....the painting of the inside shell might suggest that this was a private purchase piece. The feldgrau EM fliz helmets are not painted on the inside.The fittings on this piece are excellent pre war quality. The other 2 filz laquered helmets that I have encountered were both unpainted but the felt used was black. I posted a pic of the one of these that I still have and the other was a Prussian Officer mid war piece with zinc fittings.
One last thing re the use of vulcan fibre, there are helmets made totally of this early form of plastic. I have also worked on and seen many vulcan fibre visors on leather shells. It was also used for the side renforcements on officer leather shell helmets. In addition, I have encountered laquered card board visors on M15 EM leather helmets. FYI, I only re stitched the front viosr. Brian

reservist1 said:
Chas: The word Pionier on the name tag refers to the owners military specialty and is not a rank.

I must respectively disagree, and suggest that the rank of "Private" is an Americanism and cannot be applied to the Imperial German Forces. The "rank" for a soldier at the lowest rank ins known as the description of the Arm. An Ulanen soldier with the rank of "private" was known only as an Ulan. As mentioned, other soldiers were ranked as Fusilier, Jäger, Husar, Kürassier, Infantrist etc. The rank of Soldat (Private) does not exist in the German view of the ranking system. The same is similar in my Army, as my documents show (waaaaaay back) that I was a Trooper as I was in the Armour Corps. Never does the word "Private" appear in my documentation.

Chas, your spike top os here and I will repair it as soon as I resolve the crisis with my battleship model. I did not realize that it was going on such a nice helmet. But why Pionier? Why not 1 or 5th Garde-Regt. zu Fuß or Garde-Füsilier-Regt?

and suggest that the rank of "Private" is an Americanism and cannot be applied to the Imperial German Forces.
I understand what you're saying, and the word rank is, shall we say rank! My thought came from Rabenau, von Die deutsche Land- und Seemacht und die Berufspflichten des Offiziers, Mittler u. Sohn, Berlin 1913 (Pg. 20-21)
a.k.a. the pay tables. In those tables, everyone is referred to by a pay rank or a pay grade. Regardless of the military specialty, they were paid by grade. They had steps for payment, but there was a "rank" assigned to everyone for pay purposes.
b.d. Fu_truppen b.d. berittenen Truppen

Gemeine 9,00 Marks 10,50

Gefreite 10,50 12,00

kapit. Gefr. 15,00 16,50

Fahrer wie f|r 15,60

Berittene, f|r

Hobisisten usw.

Fähnriche u. Unteroffiziere mit 25,20

weniger als 5 1/2 Dienstjahren

Sergeanten u. Unteroffiziere nach 39,60

5 1/2 jdhr. Dienszeit

Vizefeldwebel, Sergeanten u. 47,10

Unteroffiziere nach 9

jdhriger Dienstzeit

Feldwebel, Wachtmeister 62,10

Tony: A good point. Thanks for the clarification. In referring to "rank" I was thinking about officially listed ranks as they appear in troop authorization charts and pay tables.

Reservist1

Tony & Kaiser said:
As mentioned, other soldiers were ranked as Fusilier, Jäger, Husar, Kürassier, Infantrist etc.

Et cetera

PICT0035copy.jpg

Chas. :wink:

Pionier Update: the redoubtable Tony Schnurr has once again proven his skill with a soldering gun and restored the spike to its former glory. It certainly makes the helmet look less naked.

I'm still on the lookout for a correct chinstrap or scales.

Chas.

PICT0405.jpg

With a little help from our friends....... that is now a beautiful helmet, Chas. Well done! I assume she's served her time in the basement and has made it into the permanent collection?

Is there two labels on there Chas, one pasted over another? It looks like hand-written script at the bottom?

Great photo's too.

spikeymikey said:
It looks like hand-written script at the bottom?

Hi Mike:

With more than a little help from our friends. Yes, the helmet now has a place on the top floor, and there are two labels. Unfortunately, I can't make out the script in blue ink (some of it is obscured).

At this point, I have about $800.00 invested in the helmet, plus the bonus silver Dragoon eagle. I think the sum is still reasonable given the results.

Thanks for the kind words.

Chas.

I buried treasure indeed!

Great looking helmet!

2 questions for you.

1) How did you like the polish you where testing out?

2) What happened to the JzP birdy? =P~

Back