Garde Shako with Measles!!

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
A second project underway which belongs to James. Here we have a Garde shako needing both visors restitched plus a bad case of measles. Sometime, somehow, something chemical has been sprayed on this piece resulting in "pox marks" in the finish. :( God only knows how this happened ??? Anyway, it can be fixed but it is going to take time and effort. Photos:
IMG_3961.jpeg
Rear visor has already been stitched on and the first coat of finish has been applied to the rear section of the helmet.
IMG_3956.jpeg
The entire shell is pock marked from whatever chemical was sprayed on this helmet. These will be filled in until they are no longer visible. To be continued.

Last edited:
Rear visor stitched back on and the refinishing begun.
IMG_3973.jpeg
Filling in these pock marks is a slow process...fill in with a brush, allow to dry for a couple of days, sand and then smooth out using a cotton ball soaked in thinner and repeat.

Seeing the diffrence before and at present time,i got a good feeling that the haubedoctor will heal this tschako from the measles😄😄

Jonas

Things are filling in "slowly but surely", obviously I am doing the back half first. It just takes time but it is going to look good once finished. :)

This is where we are at with the "measles shako" right now.....the rear portion of the shell is basically done and I am now working on the front of the helmet.
IMG_4053.jpeg
The rear visor was also restitched. This is what all of our helmets would have originally looked like when worn and we see this in the original photos.
IMG_4054.jpeg
There are a couple of stubborn little marks remaining but they will be dealt with. :) When completed I will dull down the new areas of finish to lessen the contrast between new and old here.

Wow, looking great Brian, I am impressed and looking forward to what it will look like finished

James

Winding down this project, finish work is basically done but I did have to restitch the front visor:
IMG_4125.jpeg
IMG_4127.jpeg
IMG_4129.jpeg
Restitched.
IMG_4128.jpeg
The piece has it's owner's initials.."B S" labeled in pencil in several places on the helmet. We have the complete last name shown here...it appears to be Sunner with an umlaut over the "u" . The Su and er are clear but I am guessing at 2 "n" between these letters. Any ideas Sandy??

Back