GDC & Braunsweig

Bruno,

I don't like it. Not only is there an alignment problem which I have not seen. There is a big smudge around the 9. The abbreviation IR is questionable about this regiment.

Something I find interesting about the GdC is that somebody did a nice restoration on it at one time (or arsenal repair of a dented dome). Look at the photo of the size "57" inside of the dome. See the small horseshoe markings all around it? Those were made by a dent on a forming stake (probably a mushroom stake). This means that at one time or another, somebody with some skill tapped out dents with a wooden or rawhide mallet (maybe even a planishing hammer). So if you look at the photo with the eagle off, you can see how nice a job they did. Sounds easy, but hammering too hard will thin the metal slightly and create an annoying little bulge, ridge or domed dent in the body.
It's too bad more shells aren't this skillfully repaired.

:D Ron

edwin said:
3100 euro for this helmet seems a bargain compared to a similar helmet offered at Weitze for 17.500 euro :-k

https://www.weitze.net/detail/14/Preussen_Helm_fuer_Offiziere_im_Regiment_Garde_du_Corps_bzw_Garde_Kuerassier_Regiment__108714.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are comparing a EM helmet to a Officer helmet, you do know that, right?

weirdpyramid said:
edwin said:
3100 euro for this helmet seems a bargain compared to a similar helmet offered at Weitze for 17.500 euro :-k

https://www.weitze.net/detail/14/Preussen_Helm_fuer_Offiziere_im_Regiment_Garde_du_Corps_bzw_Garde_Kuerassier_Regiment__108714.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You are comparing a EM helmet to a Officer helmet, you do know that, right?

Yes, I am aware of that but I was wondering whether that difference explains the huge difference in price? My previous question was not very clear #-o Moreover, I am sure that other collectors are more knowlegdable about these helmets than I am (I don't own a GDC helmet, although I wish I did) so don't mind my silly questions in that respect.

Best regards,

Edwin

Look at the '3D laurel' on the back of the skull, lower left. Am I wrong in thinking if you place a turkey in a flock of eagles...

I’m more worried about the extra hole in the middle of the line eagle , this means something else was
mounted there before.

To say 'In my opinion' that the eagle is a copy without any explanation only leaves one frustrated.
In my opinion, 'in my opinion' is of no consequence here

hello everybody, hi bruno,
i say "in my opinion" because it is always difficult to judge picture, because what I say is only my opinion and I am not infallible, because I'm not omniscient on the subject and finally because I am polite ....

to return to the helmets,
GDC: the eagle seems too rough to me, there is 6 holes on the top of the helmet too many....the sellers is well known and if he sells this helmet on ebay is that it has not been sold before.....

IR 92: like spiker there is too many holes in the plate, and "92 IR" is an unusual stamp for this regiment....

so in my opinion, these helmets are not good....

Back