GdC out of the woodwork

Maple Creek

I don't think it get's any better than this in our hobby... Here's an out-of-the-woodwork officer's Garde du Corps helmet. Missing a couple of pieces, but OK! It was found in Buenos Aires 80 years ago and belonged to a former Argentine ambassador.

Anybody have a cloverleaf device or some extra chinscales?

Mark D.

GdC_Right.jpg

GdC_Left.jpg

GdC_Front.jpg

GdC_Front.jpg

GdC_Liner.jpg

Great find Mark! :bravo:
You need to tell us about the missing link in the helmet's odyssey though (the last 80 years)... How did this get to you?
You will have to carefully straighten up that eagle crown. Too bad the silver wash looks like it's totally gone.
From the cockades, this looks like an NCO model? Is it dated anywhere (the rim maybe)?

Hi Ron,

Thanks. It seems strange that such a thing would surface in Buenos Aires in the 1930s. I had some communications with an Argentine collector a while back. He had found a Russian Model 1915 steel helmet (French Adrian type) in an antique store in Buenos Aires - a rare thing. I asked him how such a thing found its way to Argentina. He said that there were a lot of collectors in his country in the 20s and 30s. There were many wealthy people in Argentina who imported antiques and collectables from Europe and elsewhere.

The kokarden looked like officer's type to me, but I welcome other opinions.

Somebody suggested that the extra holes in the top could be due to an upgrade from one-year volunteer to officer. This seemed logical to me.

I took the eagle off to look for stamps, but found nothing. Nothing on the rim either.

Yes, too bad about the loss of the silver wash. Would you leave it alone or re-plate it? I plan to turn the thing over for professional restoration.

The missing cloverleaf device is often called a "Trefoil" (just learned this :)

Mark D.

RON said:
Great find Mark! :bravo:
You need to tell us about the missing link in the helmet's odyssey though (the last 80 years)... How did this get to you?
You will have to carefully straighten up that eagle crown. Too bad the silver wash looks like it's totally gone.
From the cockades, this looks like an NCO model? Is it dated anywhere (the rim maybe)?

Personally, I'd silver-wash that eagle back to its former glory as silver is a precious metal anyway and IMO it would 'add' to the current value of the helmet... I would make sure however to add a similar quantity/layer of silver as this used to be done. That crown would need to be very carefully/gently fixed though (by heating it I guess?)

For the missing "Trefoil", you could always ask Ron ("not to be confused with RON") to send you one of his as he's got 2. :D

Very nice find. Definitely an officer GDC/GKR helmet. Kokardes are correct for officer helmet. The extra holes in the dome are for the studs that retain the standard spike base. For every day wear the eagle and base were replaced with a fluted spike and base.

Thanks. I think there are more holes than would be necessary for a standard spike base. This could be explained if the helmet originally had an other ranks type eagle with a non-officer base requiring a different configuration of holes. This, I believe, might have been possible if the helmet had belonged to an officer candidate or one-year volunteer who then upgraded to officer.

I'm looking for a recommendation for somebody who do a good job re-silvering the eagle. Any suggestions?

Mark D.

reservist1 said:
Very nice find. Definitely an officer GDC/GKR helmet. Kokardes are correct for officer helmet. The extra holes in the dome are for the studs that retain the standard spike base. For every day wear the eagle and base were replaced with a fluted spike and base.

I've already sent the helmet to Turner Laughlin & Associates for cleaning and restoration work. I'll post photos when I get the thing back in my hands.

Westfront said:
Great find can you show a picture of the backside of the helmplate. :thumb up:

I think there are more holes than would be necessary for a standard spike base. This could be explained if the helmet originally had an other ranks type eagle with a non-officer base requiring a different configuration of holes. This, I believe, might have been possible if the helmet had belonged to an officer candidate or one-year volunteer who then upgraded to officer.
It is common for officer helmets to have two sets of holes in the dome. There are two different methods normally seen for affixing the officer eagle/base to the helmet body. One uses just the large threaded post and nut as in your helmet. Another method has holes through each side of the base for 2 of the domed studs used with the service spike/base and a threaded post attached to the underside of the eagle's tail. This stud goes though the rear of the base and rear hole in the helmet dome and is secured with a nut. Your helmet also has holes in this pattern. A less frequently encountered method is similar to that just described except that there is an additional hole in the front of the base for a domed stud.

It is possible that your helmet originally had an eagle/base attached by studs. The original eagle may have been damaged at some point during the service life of the helmet and was replaced with the eagle presently on the helmet. No matter how many sets of holes are in the dome, this is a very nice officer helmet.

Pages 249 through 253 of Imperial German Militrary Officers' Helmets and Head Dress 1871-1918 byThomas N.G. Stubbs has a description of the methods for attaching the eagle and photographs of the attaching methods. Page 228 of The German Cavalry from 1871 to 1914 by Ulrich Heer and Jens Nguyen also shows an officer helmet with the eagle attached with domed studs through the base.

Thanks. Interesting. I didn't know that. I think we have those reference books in our family library. I'll take a look.

Mark D.

reservist1 said:
It is common for officer helmets to have two sets of holes in the dome. There are two different methods... n.

looking forward to seeing the restoration! I wouldn't re-plate the eagle, but if somebody could 'un-squish' it and the visor, then I'd go with that. The eagle was probably off of the helmet when it was damaged (?), otherwise, I would guess there'd be a lot of damage to the dome. Looking forward to seeing the end result!
Good find!

:D Ron

Hi Ron, Thanks. Opinions are running about 3:1 in favor of replating at this stage. I haven't decided yet about this. Cameron Laughlin is mulling how to un-squish the crown. I've been warned that these are fragile.

The most challenging thing will be locating a clover leaf (also "trefoil" or "trefles") device to replace the one missing on the left side. If I can't track down an original, then I might just go with a reproduction. Prussian Glory Militaria sells these.

I'll post photos when the restoration is complete.

Mark D.
GdC_Trefoil.jpg

poniatowski said:
looking forward to seeing the restoration! I wouldn't re-plate the eagle, but if somebody could 'un-squish' it and the visor, then I'd go with that. The eagle was probably off of the helmet when it was damaged (?), otherwise, I would guess there'd be a lot of damage to the dome. Looking forward to seeing the end result!
Good find!

:D Ron

Congrats on a great find out of the woodwork!!!

I've seen an enlisted pattern helmet to parade that was re-worked by Brinkman's on Snelling Ave, in St. Paul, MN. They did a great job. The eagle and helmet shell were both all dinged up before the collector took it in to them to be reworked/repaired.

The eagle's head/neck area on your helmet has been bent down, and this head/neck area was also unfortunately pushed back into the shoulders/wing area of the eagle. This damage can be seen in the photos you've provided. A lot of these were dropped at one time or another over the ages. The one I acquired two years ago had the same problems with the head/neck area being pushed back into the shoulders area.

Good luck finding a tombak kleeblaten (spelling) clover leaf side boss. I ran into the same problem. Originals are about impossible to find. But one never knows when one might show up.

All the Best,

Alan

http://www.ageofkingsmilitaria.com/sell2.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's the only other place I know of, unless the Koenig brothers in Germany have them.

I got the helmet back from Turner, Laughlin & Associates. I really like the result the restoration work. Actually, I’ve been mesmerized by this object ever since it arrived in my office a few days ago.

The restorer had to address several very tricky problems. Straightening the crown and the eagle were particular challenges.

I lucked out with parts. We were able to replace the handful of missing chinscales with originals. The silk liner is a period original and fit perfectly in the original leather band. I’m still looking for one original cloverleaf/trefoil, but the current replacement is a high-quality reproduction, difficult to distinguish from an original.

There are a few interesting things that I’ve learned about this piece from this forum and from forensic analysis. We think the helmet is a relatively rare wartime manufacture. This is because the silver-plating on wartime eagles was very thin and wore off easily. This example had none of its original silver-plating. The shell is unusually thin tombak material, which apparently is another characteristic of helmets made during the war. Interestingly, the nut that holds the eagle to the shell is made from a repurposed piece of vintage typeset, possibly a letter “H.” This also suggests a possible wartime exigency.

As discussed, it appears that this helmet was an officer candidate/one-year volunteer piece that was upgraded. We assumed this because of the pattern of holes for the eagle/spike base. Another clue is that the kokarden were other ranks type, but upgraded by adding an officer’s silver ring and backing typical of officer’s style. I think is what RON was noticing at the start of this thread when he wondered whether the kokarden were for NCO. This seems like a modification that would have been more trouble than it was worth, but it may be another example of a wartime measure required by materials scarcity.

There are no stamps or markings on the shell or other parts.

I went back and forth in my thinking about refinishing the eagle. In the end I decided to go ahead and restore the thing to its former glory. The matte silver finish is very close to the original appearance of these helmets. Over time they tended to get shinny as they got polished and handled. Of course, many that you see in collections are re-plated. Sometimes you can see this kind of finish on very well preserved examples or in period photos.

MDGdC_Front.jpg

MDGdC_Wappen.jpg

MDGdC_Right.jpg

MDGdC_Left.jpg

MDGdC_Back.jpg

MDGdC_Liner.jpg

GdCPeriodPhoto.jpg

Simply UNBELIEVABLE Mark!! Looks like a totally different helmet. =D>
You're right about the eagle's matte silver finish: I don't recall seeing these shine in period photos including ones of the Kaiser in his GDC uniform.
I see the Prussian Cockade has been replaced on the correct (right) side. I can't tell which of the cloverleaf/trefoil is repro anymore and I bet with time you won't either if you don't mark it somehow!
But where on God's earth were you able to find such a perfectly matching liner?! When they stitched it back, did they use old thread you think?

Back