General Lieutenant D. Freiherr von Huegel

newbe

General Lieutenant D. Freiherr von Huegel

Gentlemen allow me to intoduce to you General Huegel and his pickelhaube, with associated newspaper clipping.

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

General Lieutenant D. Freiherr von Huegel passed away in the night from Wednesday to Thursday (2.Febr.1939) in his hometown of Tubingen.

GL comes from a long dynasty of officers and would have celebrated his 88 birthday on the 14 may 1939. He was a true soldier with heart and soul which he truly proved (with decorations) in the 1870/71 war in the service of the 3rd wuerttemberg'ischen battalion.

Even when his battalion was merged with the Ulmer infantry regiment on the 15 November 1871 and in later positions in his career he always felt as a true 'Jaeger'.

Positions of this intelligent and burly officer in his honourable military career included the 'King Karl' wuerttemberg'isch (5.) No. 123 infantry regiment, the 'Kaiser Friedrich, king of Prussia' (7.) No. 125; the Starssburger infantry regiment No. 126; the 9th Wuerttembergian infantry regiment No. 127 in Ulm and most recently as Commander of the infantry regiment No. 180 in Tubingen - in all these positions he typified the strong spirit & body of a true soldier. His lusty spirits as well as his resilient humour and his true companionship secured him a place of honour in his fellow soldiers & servants hearts.

His giant-like soldier figure with his impressive moustache gained further recognition during the years when the 13 th army corps training grounds
where under his supervision (rank: major general) and its major re-organisation into a modern camp with solid barracks at Tubingen, which General von Huegel was always close connected to became his final retirement place. Besides hunting one of his favourite passion was to serve the young generations. He was a co-founder and eager supporter of 'Jungdeutschland' (young-Germany) organisation. When the world war broke-out the retired general offered his duties despite the age of sixty-three. As commander of the XXVI Reserve corp and as commander of the 11. Landwehr (militia) infantry brigade the aged soldier proved himself further again with outstanding recognitions.

Scan0022.jpg

DSC01503.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

DSC01514.jpg

DSC01504.jpg

DSC01509.jpg

And to finish off

The Möllendorfer, regimental music which General Huegel being a true Wurttemberger would surley recognise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2HB36teVeQ&feature=related

Trooping the Colour is a military ceremony performed by regiments of the Commonwealth and the British Army. (Wikipedia)

Music: Parademarsch Nr.1 by Julius Möllendorf in 1846

Mollendorf, Julius, *1821 - †1895 was magistrate in Potsdam. His military honor march No. 1, also known as the "Mollendorfer", which amongst others was the 1st Presentation March from the Wurttemberg lancers regiment King Karl in Ulm.

Möllendorf, Julius, *1821 - †1895 war Amtsgerichtsrat in Potsdam. Sein Parademarsch Nr. 1, bekannt als der "Möllendorfer", war der Präsentiermarsch des 1. Württembergischen Ulanen- Regiments König Karl in Ulm.

A beautiful piece indeed. I would really like to see the liner. I am very curious as to what sort of liner a general would have in his helmet.

Please find photographs of the interior.
Nothing significant as far as I can see.
Also notice the antlers are missing on the front, but this is fairly typical of many Wurttemberg helmets.
General von Huegel had such a fine handle bar moustache he was obviously more than adequately compensated for his lack of antlers.

Kind regards

DSC01545.jpg

DSC01544.jpg

The General's name was Max Freiherr v. Hügel. Baron v. Hügel was the pre war commander of the Münsingen Training Area from 22 March 1903 until retiring on 18 October 1909. A charakterisierter Generalmajor since 18 June 1903, he was substantively promoted on the day of his retirement. He was not the commander of XXVI Reserve Corps but of the Ausbildungsbrigade/Field Recruit Depot of that Corps. He was awarded the brevet rank of Generalleutnant on 21 December 1915.

Regards
Glenn

pointystuff said:
Yep. That's one ferocious Schnurrbart.

I schnurr sometimes and my wife gets mad at me.

I wonder if he may have known a young officer named Ewrin Rommel... probably not (?)

:D Ron

Back