Gent's, your opinions please?

Hi Mike:

It's doubtful I will ever own one of these; therefore, I'm not really qualified to pass judgment on this example. However, I believe the seller is stating the helmet was either restored or represents an old composite.

The black eagle Wappen and Garde star look a bit crude.

Per'aps Tony will favor us wit' a verdict.

Cas.

The seller clearly states that this is a parts/composite/restored helmet. I thought that the helmet shell looked good.... but then I saw that there are no additional holes for the service spike. Someone is going to spend over a thousand Euro and end up with zip. Bill

Uh....I hope you are referring to some other "Tony"? I have one, count-em, one Garde Kürassier helmet, and it is not an officer. So I doubt very much that I am an authority on these.

All I know, is that they have been making replicas for years, unless I could actually look at one of these, I would be cautious. The lining and the backing to the neck guard look to be typical for an original, but the lack of holes for the spike base like Bill spotted is very odd? The Wappen, yuk.

Dozens of countries used helmets similar to this; Norway, Sweden, Russia, Mexico, Spain, and scores of others. I wonder if this is a shell from one of those "other" countries that just looks German and it has been "tuned up" to make it look German? I have no idea.

Tony,
You always protest that you are no expert, but you always have very good information to pass on. As Willy Shakey Spear said, "Me thinks he doth protest too much"
Gus

Mike: The eagle looks like a copy to me. There should be a third screw attaching the tail of the eagle to the base and the threads on the crown look modern. The thread pitch appears too fine. The "silk" portion of the liner also looks to be a replacement. The cloth is very clean and does not match the condition of the leather sweat band. As Tony put it, be very cautious as copies of these helmets have been around for years.

A big thanks to everbody,

I looked at this Helm long and hard and after picking up on the points you stated, left it alone. Good job I did.

Well it went for 4210 Euros so I do feel sorry for the guy who bought it at this price. It just goes to show the value of being a member of this Forum.

Thanks again guys ... I appreciate the help and advise.

Back