George Birringer RIP

b.loree

Administrator
Staff member
I was informed today by Randy T of the passing of George Birringer one of the best pickelhaube restorers that I have known. George was a mentor to me and helped me on multiple occaisions with advice and information on restorations. I always knew that if I screwed up, he would help me out. He also went out of his way to research and make exact reproduction pieces which could be used to complete both WW1 hauben, and metal helmes, as well as WW2 steel helmets. He made the best liners, leather and silk, liner bands, helmet rivets etc that I have seen. He has helped many collectors by restorating their treasures. Rest In Peace George, you will be sorely missed. Brian

I was shocked when I heard as well.

I have been collecting for the span of 20 years and have been away from it for about 10 years or after Katrina. I just got back into collecting about 2-3 months ago when I heard the sad news from Randy.

He helped me out a few times as well . As did I back in the day. I developed a method to make custom leather shells ,visor trim and rear spines . We traded back and forth for services .

I considered him a friend . I remember hearing his son playing the bagpipes in the back ground of our many telephone conversations :D

He is and will missed .

RIP George .

Sad to hear Mr. Birringer has passed away.
He made excellent Pickelhaube chinstraps and was always glad to share his knowledge of the old helmets.

That is sad, he was a really nice guy and very helpful. His work was top-notch and I had recently emailed him to order a chinstrap. Also, too late. RIP, George.

Sad to hear, he had Original pieces of Tomback to make really nice replacement scales when needed.

Sad news indeed.

James

Did that method involve weight from an automobile, by chance?

pickelhauben said:
I was shocked when I heard as well.

I have been collecting for the span of 20 years and have been away from it for about 10 years or after Katrina. I just got back into collecting about 2-3 months ago when I heard the sad news from Randy.

He helped me out a few times as well . As did I back in the day. I developed a method to make custom leather shells ,visor trim and rear spines . We traded back and forth for services .

I considered him a friend . I remember hearing his son playing the bagpipes in the back ground of our many telephone conversations :D

He is and will missed .

RIP George .

Back