German Company Numbering - How high does it get?

simon505

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me how many companies there were in a battalion - I always though it was about twelve but have recently heard of there being in some cases as many as twenty companies in a regiment?

Any info welcome!

Cheers,

Simon

The reason I ask is that my WW1 German Bugle is marked RJR 229, 19 K.
I understand this to be Reserve Infantry Regiment 229. 19th Company. I thought I heard somewhere that there were more companies created as the war progressed but was surprised at so high a number.

Simon

Simon,

I have not come across a five battalion strong regiment (which in effect would be required to field a 19th company).

Certainly at mobilization in 1914 a handful of regiments had four battalions (RIR 99, RIR 130 and BRIR 4) which would give companies 13-16. In fact as the war progressed, the number of rifle companies decreased, giving a final establishment of 3 rifle companies and one machine gun company per battalion.

Prior to the war, in the late nineteenth century, the Prussian Army had trialed a four battalion establishment when in April 1887, the following 12 Prussian regiments were authorised a fourth battalion in the strength of
four rifle companies each (13., 14., 15., 16.):

13, 14, 16, 17, 18, 39, 40, 53, 65, 80, 83, & 129. In July 1890 this had been utilized to form new regiments.

And again in August 1893 all extant infantry regiments were authorised to form a fourth battalion in the strength of two companies (13. and 14.) Once again these were used to form new regiments in April 1897.

Regards
Glenn

RJR 229, 19 K

I wonder if it is some numbering anomaly? this series of regiments should figure heavily in Jack Sheldon's upcoming book. I haven't got a thing for the 200 series reserve regiments right now–

Gents - thanks for your help.

Numbering anomaly, no - Simon's eyesight anomaly, yes.

After Glenn posted his response I checked the bugle. The stamping is in fact '9 K' but this has been later restamped directly over the nine with a '0' an to the left of this a '1', using the existing K to make it 10th company. Because the numbers applied the second time are larger, the 9 sits almost inside the 0 so only upon closer examination can you see the final stamp is not 19th company at all but 10th company.

Thanks for your help!

Simon

Kraus lists Troddel colors for companies up to the 17th. The 15th and 16th colors were laid down (by the Prussian KM Nr.3593/11. 14B3. KVBl.XI.AK Jg.1914, Nr.38, S.18 ) on Dec.6, 1914 and the 17th company colors were added (by KM Nr.584.15 geh.B3.KA Mü, MKr 5270, Prod.55) on September 2, 1915.

Chip

FYI, Busche states the following about RIR229:

* Established in Breslau and attached to 50. Res.Div
* Comprises three battalions formed from the Ers.-Btl./Gren.R.Nr. 11 and IR Nr. 51
* Commander was Oberst z. D. v. Bercken
* Battalion commanders were I.: Hauptmann a. D. Graf v. Roedern, II.: Hauptmann d. G.-Landwehr-Jäger Richtsteig, III.: Hauptmann d. Res. Vosberg
* The Regiment originally consisted of 20% enlisted and 80% volunteers and had around 3594 casualties (94 officers, roughly 3500 OR)

Back