German Historical Museum

chrispaulodale

Hello folks,

Today I went to the Deutsche Historische Museum in Berlin. It's not a military museum as such but a museum on the general and social history of Germany from pre-Roman times to the Fall of the Berlin Wall. But of course any history of Germany would be incomplete without a few Hauben-

all.jpg

A collection of officers Pickelhauben, one from each state...

IR96II.jpg

The IR96 II Btn helmet (Reuss, I think)

bruns.jpg

IR92 (Brunswick)

oldenburg.jpg

IR91 (Oldenburg)

berlin%20police.jpg

I liked this one, Berlin Police.

damaged.jpg

Reserve IR329. Hit by shrapnel, the officer wearing it died (as expected).

gaede.jpg

Slightly more shrapnel proof, the Gaede helmet. No idea why they displayed this one lying upside down, but handy if you ever wondered what the lining looked like (and I know some of you have).

3sb.jpg

...and own favourite, a III Seebatallion Tropenhelm!

Cheers
Chris

Glad you like the photos, guys. The museum is in the Zeughaus at the end of Unter den Linden, East of the Brandenburg Gate.

DEUTSCHES HISTORISCHES MUSEUM
Zeughaus und Ausstellungshalle
Unter den Linden 2
10117 Berlin

http://www.dhm.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth a visit if you're in Berlin!

Cheers
Chris

That SB Tropenhelm is my favorite too!!
Thanks for the address Chris, now need details on the museum guard shifts please! :wink:

That haube with Uberzug hit by shrapnel has a weird leather chinstrap... Reminds me of the one we recently saw on a Stahlhelm on eBay (discussed in some other thread)...

chrispaulodale said:
Glad you like the photos, guys. The museum is in the Zeughaus at the end of Unter den Linden, East of the Brandenburg Gate.

DEUTSCHES HISTORISCHES MUSEUM
Zeughaus und Ausstellungshalle
Unter den Linden 2
10117 Berlin

http://www.dhm.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well worth a visit if you're in Berlin!

Cheers
Chris

Argh! I was there the summer before last and didn't know about it!!! Now I do! :bravo: Next time!

They probably display the Gaede helmet that way to save the leather (assuming it's original).

:D Ron

I have to go and visit Berlin as well.
And...the brandnew Dresden museum (opening October 15th 2011).
"Militär Historisches Museum der Bundeswehr"-(the "Uniform" exhibition alone shows 70000 items...) I bet there might be some pieces of headgear among them...don't ya think so... :cool:
http://www.militaerhistorisches-museum.bundeswehr.de/portal/a/mhm/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP3I5EyrpHK94uyk-NyMXP1wkJKCosT03ET9yLx83eTE5IxU_YLcXEcAJcUX3g!!/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rgds,
Francis

You guys are lucky to be living today close enough to where it all started--the land of the hauben...

Khukri said:
I have to go and visit Berlin as well.
And...the brandnew Dresden museum (opening October 15th 2011).
"Militär Historisches Museum der Bundeswehr"-(the "Uniform" exhibition alone shows 70000 items...) I bet there might be some pieces of headgear among them...don't ya think so... :cool:
http://www.militaerhistorisches-museum.bundeswehr.de/portal/a/mhm/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP3I5EyrpHK94uyk-NyMXP1wkJKCosT03ET9yLx83eTE5IxU_YLcXEcAJcUX3g!!/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rgds,
Francis

We were at the Dresden Museum last summer, but it wasn't finished. What they did have in a small temporary display was very impressive. There was also a sign warning that trespassers would be SHOT if they moved into an area near the museum that I can only assume was the archives and displays in temporary storage. It should be a great museum to see and Dresden is simply beautiful.

Looking at the web site, we did get to Konigstein (sorry no umlaut on this computer), and it is WELL WORTH IT as well!

:D Ron

Thanks for sharing the great pics and now I have to convince the missus that we should go to Berlin :D

Regards,

Edwin

Here's the 'weird' chinstrap spotted on eBay--helmet didn't sell so seller switched it to Buy it Now--to be compared with that of the shrapnel damaged haube above... Any idea what these chinstraps are and when & why these were used?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VERY-NICE-GERMAN-COMBAT-HELMET-M16-/350494009161" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You're probably right Keith but then again, the Autrians--who used German designed helmets--had come-up with a much better strap system and maybe the Germans had finally realized the need to upgrade as well?

Hmmm, if I could choose, I would take the second and the fourth helmet in the third row (from the top and from left to right)...
Reserve Offizier GR 89 II Haube and Braunschweig IR 92 Offizier Totenkopf helmet. Cooool!!

Philippe

I would settle with the SB Tropenhelm and that Braunschweig IR 92 Offizier Totenkopf haube... Wouldn't it be nice if the latter also turned out to be a wartime (M1915) helmet?

Hey, I think there´s something wrong with the Officer OJR 91 helmet... :cry:
Anyone saw the problem too??

Back