German Mounted Troops Enlisted Issue Swords pre WW2

RON

Hello all,
I bought these 2 swords from the nephew of a Canadian vet. back in the mid-90s for $50 a piece.
One is slightly longer than the other and has "1" engraved on the blade spine while the shorter one has "2" on the spine.
Sword "1" has the following Serial Nr.: 13088 on the guard & 13066 on the scabbard!! (Maybe a factory glitch as the '66' could easily have been mistaken for '88'?)
Sword "2" has the following Serial Nr. on both guard & scabbard: 5254.

Both swords were manufactured by Carl Eickhorn with numerous waffenamt proofs all over and the Eikhorn Squirrel on the blade.

Could anyone make the production dates from the above serial numbers and what's with the "1" and "2" engravements and the difference in length?? :-k
HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelnSabers-preWW2c.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelnSabers-preWW2e.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSaumlbelSaber-preWW2-1g.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelSaber-preWW2-1m.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelSaber-preWW2-2g.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelSaber-preWW2-2m.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSaumlbelSaber-preWW2-1i.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelSaber-preWW2-2j.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelSaber-preWW2-1j.jpg

HeerMountedTroopsEMNCOMilitaryIssueSbelSaber-preWW2-2k.jpg

Your swords are issue German Army Ordnance swords. The letter "G." after the Eickhorn initials indicates production in 1935. The numbers 1 and 2 on the blades indicate the legnth of each sword. These swords were produced in three different lengths to accomodate wearers of differing heights. The swords are marked 1, 2 or 3, to indicate the size of the specific sword. See page 59 of Swords of Germany 1900/1945 by John R. Angolia.

Reservist1 is dead on! It is amazing after all these years, the Angolia book is still the one I use most often...

Thanks R1!
Just to be clear, are you saying these could be any branch of the Army and not just Mounted Troops?

Back