German Regimental/Battalion Flags

manchu6

Fellow researchers/enthusiasts,

I write to ask for your help or advice.

My grandfather served in Garde Reserve Infantry Regiment Nr. 64 (Company 10) during WWI, part of the 1st Garde Reserve Division & Korps. Prior to the war, he served in 7. West Prussian Infantry Regiment Nr. 155 (Company 5).

I am researching his unit history and want to determine what the flags of these two units (regimental/batallion) would have looked like. I have a photo of the III Battalion, IR 155 (circa 1904) but nothing on the RIR64. Additionally, the photo is black and white and I don't know what color the flag was and if the II Battalion and Regimental flag would have looked identical.

Would you please help me with information or recommendations on where I can find additional information on my grandfather's unit? Additionally, as a Garde Reserve Infantry Regiment, would RIR 64 align with the active garde units and adopt the same uniforms, etc?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Respectfully,
Mike

The word "Garde" did not appear in the official name of this regiment. Busche lists it just as "Reserve Infanterie Regiment Nr.64". I think it is like some of the other reserve regiments that were formed from Garde units, in that it did not use the Garde nomenclature in its name. It was formed in Berlin with officers, NCOs and reserve officers taken from the 2.Garde Regiment zu Fuß.

I suppose it is possible that the unit tried to make the distinction and pressed the Garde issue by making up unit stamps that might have incorporated "Garde" in the name, but according to this reference, it was not official.

From what I have seen, the reserve regiments formed from the Garde also wore Garde insignia. A case in point is this regimental postcard, dated 1917, which shows the uniform of RIR 262 with a M07 tunic with both collar and cuff Litzen.

Chip

Mike,

This is a flag for JR 155. The The regimental colors would have looked like this. Colorful pictures of flags can be very misleading and the best reference that I know of is actually from one of those cigarette card books but is extremely rare.

Chip gave you a great breakdown on the rjr64.

flag%20jr155.jpg

Are you a former Manchu-six? Long ago I was a Dragon six and Viking 6.

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for letting me know and for providing a picture of the regiment's colors.

Are the streamers significant, and are the ones shown the same ones IR 155 would have carried? Additionally, would 155th IR have carried the same the staff topper?

I am a former Manchu 6. I command 2nd Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment...a wonderfully historic regiment rich in tradition.

Keep Up The Fire!
Mike

Yes, the streamers were important. JR 155 was authorized a single streamer as shown in this clip but I am not sure what it is for. the top of the flag would have been the same.

My background included commanding 1-37 armor and 1–63 armor. wonderful experience but very long ago.

VR
Joe

TEXT-%20FLAG%20BOOK%20PAGE%2019%20-%205.%20PREUSSEN%20LINE%20INFANTRY%20TABLE%20OF%20.jpg

Thanks again Joe,

Do you have a reference/picture of the "1897" streamer? I found a link for the topper and look forward to purchasing one from the site...I am having a reproduction flag made of II. Battalion, 155 I.R. and would like to have a steamer made to go along with the flag/topper.

How long ago did you command, and do you know a gentleman by the name of Al B. (armor officer...LT in Vietnam...retired as 06, AR branch guy for many years)?

I thank you for your service to our great nation and appreciate your sacrifice. I am blessed to continue my service for as long as the Army will have me.

Thanks again,
Mike

I do not have a picture or a reference of the streamer–or not one that I remember. I do not believe this is an 1897 item but cannot be certain. I have so many books to look into I just might have something on this. no promises

I was medically retired in 02. Was your friend Al Bryant? I remember him he commanded 1-64 before Matt the Rat, He also ran the North American desk for the joint staff during the 9/11 thing. He might've actually been in the same meeting as my wife and I when airplane number three hit 50 yards away. I actually think it was one of his guys who made the unfortunate utterance after the impact. Is that the guy?

Joe,

No, different guy. I had a friend who was on his way to a crisis response team meeting when the third plane hit...had he not been on his way to that meeting, he would have died with his coworkers...blast doors saved his life...incredible how distructive that impact was.

Thanks for looking into the streamer issue for me...please don't expend too much time. I am just getting into my study of Imperial Germany, and my focus is really on understanding the environment my Grandfather experienced...fortunately, I have his Soldier Book with great stamps, entries...just need to translate and make out the squiggles.

Again Joe, I thank you for your time and assistance. And thanks again for your service.

V/R,
Mike

Hey Mike,
If you want to take advantage of Joe's time, you need to buy a copy of his most recent book. "Handbook of Imperial Germany" It is a must read for anyone nterested in Imperial Germany. I suspect that Janet did most of the work though.
Best
Gus

Gus,

WILCO and purchased book...great reference. I have just moved and want to mount my reproduction flag to the wall...problem...staff I have is too large. I want to put a "topper" or finial on the flag as depicted. Do you know of a good reproduction or original I could purchase?

Mike,

I do not know or you can buy one however, they do come up from time to time. I am not sure if they are real or reproduction–I think many veteran organizations used the same top. I did get this picture of a flag with a top that is pretty clear–not the same regiment.

ps1327 by joerookery, on Flickr

Dear Jim,

Thank you very much for letting me know and for providing a picture of the regiment's colors.

Are the streamers significant, and are the ones shown the same ones IR 155 would have carried? Additionally, would 155th IR have carried the same the staff topper?

I am a former Manchu 6. I command 2nd Battalion, 9th Infantry Regiment...a wonderfully historic regiment rich in tradition.

Keep Up The Fire!
Mike
Dear Mike,

My uncle just passed recently and I heard somewhere that he was part of small group called the Manchu 6. I'm trying to learn more about him. Would you be able to help?

Jeff

Back