German veterans of Verdun

edwin

Some interesting video interviews from 1980 with German veterans of Verdun. All clips contain English subtitles :D

http://gottmituns.net/2013/03/18/german-veterans-of-verdun-world-war-1-video-interviews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Edwin

Particularly I liked Ernst Weckerlings story! The short episode at the end of his interview is the only period source I know of that tells something about the handling of removable M15 spikes in practice.

He says the spikes were collected in bags before the battle, so it wasn't the soldiers keeping them. Maybe it generally was not an individual decision when to remove them. As these bags were lost in the fierce fighting, the men carved false spikes from potatoes before marching up for the emperor in a ceremony.

Thanks. Really interesting. I think maybe Reinhard Heydrich was in the KMM in WWI. I remember around 1984 I was with some young German buddies and one was quite a ladies man. He had a great story to tell. He had "made it" with a hot young German girl at hr parents house. After he did the deed he looked up on the wall over the bed and low and behold there was a large oil painitng of Heydrich in full uniform. It turns out he was her granddad.

Back