German WW1 Canteens

RON

Gents, this is something I haven't ventured into yet that I would like to get some education on.

I've spotted 2 canteens currently offered on eBay. Although both advertised as authentic German WW1, I noted some differences in design.

Here they are; what can you tell me about each?
Canteen 1: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270812656002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Canteen 2: http://www.ebay.com/itm/170695473059?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hey Ron,
In my opinion, cnteen #1 is not German, it may be a period private purchase item, but I have not seen one like that before, and even though the cover and carrier look correct, I do not think the canteen is right.
Canteen # 2 is a standard M1915 Steel water bottle, it is very close to the same as the M1893 which was made of aluminum. The M1867 water bottle was made of glass. and there was a M1907 Water bottle, made of aluminum, but with a screw on cap, rather than a cork stopper. I think there is a thread with woter bottles somewhere, I will look.
Best
gus

Ron,
Check out this thread, Hans posted some great photos of water bottles, and you will be able to see the variaty of covers that can be found on them, from wool, cordaroy, papercloth, and even leather. There is not a good photo of the M1907, but I did post a photo of one with out a cover.
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4391&hilit=waterbottle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best
Gus

Fellow collectors,
I just purchased a German WW1 canteen. It is corduroy covered with metal buttons and with a cork stopper attached with a leather strap. It also has a small metal clasp for attachment to the belt. About what year would these have Ben manufactured and what type of cup would be most appropriate as a match?

The correct cup would match the material of the water bottle. If it is aluminum, it was likely issued during the first year of war and would usually have an aluminum cup. A steel water bottle would have been issued late 1915 or later and would normally have a steel cup. Bear in mind that the soldiers would have been issued what ever was at hand and would not always be matching.

Gustaf,
Thank you. I do not have the canteen in hand yet. Am I correct in assuming that a canteen with corduroy cover and cork stopper would be made of steel and date from 1916? It has a small leather strap around the neck to retain the cap and not the longer leather strap attaching to the bottom of the canteen with a metal nut.

Foxdoublegunner

That would be a later harness, and one would expect a steel bottle, but there is no set rule as salvaged early waterbottles might be reissued with new covers and straps.

I have few with corduroy covers and only the neck strap leather, dated 1917. They are the steel enameled ones.

Thank you, Sir. That is the additional background info that I was looking for. I will post some pictures when I have it in hand. These don’t seem to come on the market very often and when they do they are often only partial examples.

Gentlemen,
I have my Imperial canteen in hand and have attached some fotos. There is no date on the enamel covered steel canteen body itself nor on the leather neck strap. From the oinfo that you have provided i assume that it is from 1917 or perhaps 1918. It is in excellent shape.

Regards,
Foxdoublegunner

Attachments

• canteen mouth.jpg
    canteen mouth.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,947
Additional fotos

Attachments

• Canteen cover side.jpg
    Canteen cover side.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,943
  • Canteen cover back.jpg
    Canteen cover back.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 2,944
  • Canteen cover front.jpg
    Canteen cover front.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 2,943
Very nice condition, the dated ones I have are ink stamped either on the cover or the body along with the Army Corp number. I do have a couple of earlier ones that actually have a maker's plate on them. A small plate with the maker's name and date.

Back