Gew. 98 Cleaning Kit - Authentic Imperial Army Issue?

RON

I'm familiar with the WW2 Mauser rifle cleaning kit issued by the army in a flat 'can' but not its WW1 counterpart...
Does this kit qualify as Imperial army issue or is it some export or post WW1 (Weimar) specimen?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAUSER-ACCESSORY-KIT-7PCS-CLEANING-TOOLS-SCREWDRIVER-AMMO-POUCH-OIL-BOTTLE-/140659231921" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The tools are for variants of the Mosin-Nagant Model 1891 rifle. The belt pouch is likely not an original part of the kit.

Hi R1
Do you have a photo of an actual WW1 German cleaning kit for future reference?

Ron - The pouch looks swedish to me.

The Gew98 as you know has a short rod. You were supposed to get with your mates and make a long rod together and clean rifles. I've not seen a Gew98 cleaning kit per se, but will nose around.

Eric

Hey Eric,
Maybe they used kits similar to the Wehrmacht's? After all, the G98 & K98 were the exact same rifle apart from length and in the Third Reich kit, you had a chain cleaning 'rod' which solved the issue you mentioned...
GermanRG34WeaponCleaningKit-1935.jpg

GermanRG34WeaponCleaningKit-WW2a.jpg

GermanRG34WeaponCleaningKit-WW2b.jpg

Ron _ I have one of those kits but just have never seen anything that was supposed to be Imperial era or Gew98.

Eric

Here is a WWI German cleaning kit. This one was posted on the French WWI website by a member who goes by the name Eparges. You can see all of the contents. I have a fieldgray painted example tin, but, alas, without the contents.

Chip

Thanks Chip!
First time I see one of those.
I presume the tin was marked and/or dated?

Back