Gewehr 98 Unit Marking help needed

ebeeby

Finally found a VG condition all matching Gewehr 98. I've only been looking for 5 or 6 years.
This one is a Danzig 1916 number 4839t
Strong blue, some spotting to the bright parts, sharp cartouches, all matching.
In front of the receiver is stamped RI813. Can anyone help identify that unit?

I was a little shocked with what has come out of the bore. Lots of copper fouling and extremely dirty. that said, very strong rifling and a pretty good bore overall. I am guessing this is a 8x57 though I can't find that stamped anywhere.

I do not believe the marking you listed is a German unit mark. The location you described and the style of the marking are more indicative of a barrel steel identification number. A photo of the marking and its location would be helpful in providing a more definite answer.

Reservist1

P6090011.jpg

P6090009.jpg

P6090008.jpg

P6090013.jpg

Congrats on finally finding one! These things are getting quite scarce, not to mention the matching ones.
Could you post complete pics of the rifle?

I will later - She Who Must is complaining I'm getting black Hoppe's drips all over her kitchen table. You wouldn't believe the s&*^ coming out of this bore. Still, a good bore now that I can see what I have. Deep rifling with some minor pitting. Lots of copper fouling and pit corrosion coming out.

It's probably unsafe to fire but who cares; it would display pretty nice. I tried mine only once just to say I did and then respectfully gave it a well-earned retirement properly stored along with its 1939 daughter...

Do you have a good S98/05 Sawback to display with it?

Thank you for the photo. I believe the marking is actually B.I. 813 which identifies the barrel steel supplier, in this instance Bismarckhuette, and the number of the steel lot.

More in-depth information can be found in Rifle & Carbine 98, M98 Firearms in the German Army from 1898 to 1918, by Dieter Storz, pages 100 - 140.

I hope the above is helpful.

Reservist1

Thank you - very helpful.
A very German thing to do and not nearly as exciting as a unit mark.

Thanks again.

Eric

RON said:
It's probably unsafe to fire but who cares; it would display pretty nice. I tried mine only once just to say I did and then respectfully gave it a well-earned retirement properly stored along with its 1939 daughter...

Do you have a good S98/05 Sawback to display with it?
My future 'She Who Must'--if I ever get to that stage in my life--would need to be a militaria freak herself or a mute (even better :D )

And speaking of displaying these rifles, here's a couple of pictures I really like to look at from time to time that I found on the Net:
MauserGew98-Mod1898withSeitengewehr98-05Bayonet.jpg

MauserGew98-Mod1898withSeitengewehr98SawbackBayonet.jpg

This rifle is entirely safe to fire. The Mauser action is quite strong. I will take it to the range next weekend - what remains to be seen is how well it shoots.

I would have to agree, I have yet to see a Mauser that I would not fire, now a Sringfield 1903 is another matter, although I suspect all the weak ones have already exploded.
Best
Gus

Gustaf said:
I would have to agree, I have yet to see a Mauser that I would not fire, now a Sringfield 1903 is another matter, although I suspect all the weak ones have already exploded.
Best
Gus

That has pretty much been exploded as urban myth on the certain serial number range of 1903's blowing. It was finally attributed to old men with cheap dime store glasses (ahem) slamming cheap war surplus 8mm mauser in the 1903.

Very nice Eric; love that DEMAG Bayonet/Fighting Knife you got in there too! A very similar one recently sold on eBay in the US by the way, that wouldn't be it would it?
Thanks for posting!

RON said:
Very nice Eric; love that DEMAG Bayonet/Fighting Knife you got in there too! A very similar one recently sold on eBay in the US by the way, that wouldn't be it would it?
Thanks for posting!
I can't afford what they're getting for crank handle bayonets these days. I've had that one a long time. I have never seen a picture of one on a rifle - until now! :)

ebeeby said:
Gustaf said:
Best
Gus

That has pretty much been exploded as urban myth on the certain serial number range of 1903's blowing. It was finally attributed to old men with cheap dime store glasses (ahem) slamming cheap war surplus 8mm mauser in the 1903.

I have to disagree with what you say vehemently. There is no myth that the heat treatment on the first million or so 1903 rifles made by Springfield and Rock Island was defective in application . It was found conclusively that under casehead failures and as often longitudal splis and peirced primers or any event which stressed the action above NORMAL the 1903 rifle was not reliably safe as then made. The qualities of the steel used with the innefective heat treatment made the 1903 borderline in safety and NOT SAFE at all if any pressure situation went above normal by any margin.
On top of that the 1903 had the most delicate and easily damaged front or rear sights of ANY combat rifle used in WW1 / WW2. I suggest you get a copy of ORDNANCE WENT UP FRONT by Dunlap , and a copy of SHOTS FIRED IN ANGER by George and you should rethink the not so rosey record of the 1903 in combat. I could detail to you haw the two peice firing pin assy is a dangerous item if a peirced primer event happens.... I have experianced this situation twice... once with my brother shooting and it about broke my little brothers cheek bone and later on one went through my sleeve. George & Dunlap had both seen this happen too...the 1903 is about a great wall hanger as anyone could want , last thing I'd take into combat for sure.

Any Model 1903 rifle made at Springfield Armory and having a serial number less than 800,000 or a Model 1903 rifle made at Rock Island Arsenal and having a serial number less than 285507 should not be fired! In addition to the sources listed by gew98 the following provides detailed inmformation on the problem. Hatcher's Notebook by Julian S. Hatcher, Major General, U.S.A. Retired, Chapter XVII, Record of accidents to the U.S. Rifle Cal. .30, M1903 1917 to 1929, inclusive.

Reservist1

I have to disagree with what you say vehemently. There is no myth that the heat treatment on the first million or so 1903 rifles made by Springfield and Rock Island was defective in application . It was found conclusively that under casehead failures and as often longitudal splis and peirced primers or any event which stressed the action above NORMAL the 1903 rifle was not reliably safe as then made. The qualities of the steel used with the innefective heat treatment made the 1903 borderline in safety and NOT SAFE at all if any pressure situation went above normal by any margin.

I have ordered George's book and look forward to reading it. For yet another perspective, see this:
http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Back