Gigantic JzP

I just found this 7th JzP that was on eBay and came from an estate sale in New York. It is the largest metal (JzP and Kurassier style) that I have ever seen. It is unit marked, dated and has the size "62" stamped in the back trim. It absolutely dwarfs my other JzP helmets that are marked size 54. All original and quite "salty".

This is indeed a big buy. And a very nice helmet, independently of the size. Congratulations Randy. I wonder what the percentage was of german soldiers with this big a head. I am sure Joe knows, as he knows everything related to the imperial army.
By the way this is my helmet size (for the bike). I have only one size 62 Pickelhaube, a 1867 model, and it still does not fit my head...

ok so my question is, I have now seen 2 size 62 helmets, Bruno's and Randy's.

Do you think this size was part of the production run for the Army, or specially made for these large headed soldiers??

James

James,

Part of the production run would be my opinion. They would contract for so many of each different size. I have no idea how many of each size. One of these days maybe you'll find a contract =P~

joerookery said:
James,

Part of the production run would be my opinion. They would contract for so many of each different size. I have no idea how many of each size. One of these days maybe you'll find a contract =P~

In his book 'Stahlhelm', Floyd Tubbs mentioned percentages of steel helmet shells in each size, this might be similar. I'll have to look later.

:D Ron

I have been collecting since 1965 and I have never seen such a large and obviously different lobster tail helmet. It looks almost distorted due to the size.

Wow that’s a whopper of a Jager. :thumb up:

Would be a nice addition to this topic ;
http://www.pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wow! Unheard of huge melon! My largest was an M15 JzP size 60 cm, unfortunately, had to sell it. Up until this post Randy, I thought that was the largest they produced! Bruno,you are an MD, you have to have a big head!

Here's what Floyd Tubbs had to say about Stahlhelm shell production. He talks about the production ratios of helmet shell sizes 62; 64; 66 and 68...:

Shell size............Head size.............Percentage made:...............Percentage of 'Odd' size (estimate):

60......................50.5 - 52 cm..........................................................10%
62......................52.5 - 54.................10%.........................................40%
64......................54.6 - 56.................40%
66......................56.5 - 58.................40%
68......................58.5 - 60.................10%.........................................40%
70......................60.5 - 62................................................................10%

He doesn't mention sizes 60 and 70, but it might be reasonable to interpolate that these were grouped into the size 62 and 68 production with similar ratios if those four are taken as a total. So, if my math is correct (which it PROBABLY IS NOT), this would mean that the largest and smallest sizes made up 1% of total production.
At any rate, it may be reasonable to expect that these numbers were based on similar numbers from Pickelhaube production.

Any thoughts?

:D Ron

Well here is another one, a size 62 OR Kuirassier helmet next to a size 58. Huge, size marked in neck and made by Otto Nachtieall Berlin 1916.

it actually fits me with room to spare.

James

Back