Glued Visors.

Hi Guy's. I just got a nice Private purchase helmet that is very beautiful but it has a feature which troubles me. Up where the green leatherette meets the calfskin sweatband it has a kind of black tar like substance running halfway around the join 'tween front visor edge and the shell. Also at the sides where the dome head pins secure the visor this stuff has run down slightly over the green leatherette. Anyone seen this on a straight legit helmet? Could it be a glue job? Did the makers sometimes use glue to fasten later liners or what. The front visors stitching seems secure enough so I wonder why anyone would use glue on it. But it has me worried as it's a high ticket 'haube.

Help! :cry: :cry:

Hi Mike:
No legitimate glue is to be found on any pickelhauben in my experience except on the officer sweat band where the 2 ends meet. This joint is stitched on some of the older officer models and always stitched on the EM helmets. You can always tell if visors have been glued on by older collectors. Check closely on the inside where the visor meets the shell. There is usually some trace of glue to be found. Soften all glue with wood alcohol before trying to separate the 2 parts. The presence of a black tar like substance in these spots suggests to me that there may have been some re finishing done to the piece. The workmanship of the original haube makers was such that this would not have been present. I have seen many hauben where the finish has "run" on the outside due to heat but as yet not on the inside. Perhaps it could happen??? Brian

Back