Good,bad or just plain ugly?

MG34NZ

Hi All
Don't have much experience with the metal helmets, this one has been repainted and the metal fittings plated. Is it good, bad or just plain ugly? It's a lot in an auction this weekend.sorry the pics are rubbish.
Thanks
Andrew

Wow. This one looks like it has been refitted for use as some sort of presentation piece. The spike is an M15 type and should be grey and the Wappen appears to be brass. I have mixed metal helmets with grey fittings and a chemically darkened brass Wappen, but I don't think that a chemically darkened brass plate could possibly be polished enough to make it that bright.

It is just my opinion, but I think that this has been completely ruined. I suppose if the price was right you could repaint it again, in the correct color, and paint the fittings, but it still wouldn't be "right".

I would avoid it. Mine has been beaten to death and does not display well, but it provides an illustration of a "more original" version. It can be seen here:

http://pickelhaubes.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10882" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John :eek:

I agree with John, but on the bright side, you could get a nice chinstrap off of it. I'd go to the auction with a lowball top price in mind and not get 'haube fever' and bid higher. You might be able to sand blast the plating off (with a very fine grit), find original fittings? The painted shell is another problem. Sanding? Gentle chemical removal? Make sure the chin strap looks original. It's hard to tell from the photos.
You have to remember too that many bidders might not know how screwed up this is and think it's the best thing they've ever seen. Rare, no dents or rust, nice and shiny, etc. So it might go for a pretty penny, but then you might get a bargain and a fun project.

:D Ron

The spike looks like an Indian copy, I would question the Wappen as well, the helmet is a repaint in my opinion and given the spike, I would question its authenticity.

Spike and helmet plate are m1915 style that has been plated with what looks like nickel, chin strap looks ok and liner shows age. It's a shame it has been messed with. Reserve is low. If it's cheap enough I may buy it.

Chin strap appears to have been broken and repaired. Also look at the chin strap post, we recently had a thread about the center beed on them and their size. These look big to me.

This helmet has a lot of potential to be brought back to its original state. The only hard part would be finding a chemically darkened eagle wappen....

Too many problems and if you buy it, they are your problems. Pass on it and save your cash for something better. :thumbsdown:

Back