Got Lucky on Ebay!!! Ulan 11

J.LeBrasseur

Administrator
Staff member
Every once in awhile, you get lucky on Ebay, and this one sure paid off!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220108727843&rd=1&rd=1

I asked the seller for more pictures and took a chance, the real surprise came when I got the Tschapka and found a wonderful, paper lable inside!

Shell is dated 1915 with faint maker mark.

Inside front visor is very nicely pebbled!

James

ulan%2011%20004.jpg

ulan%2011%20005.jpg

ulan%2011%20001.jpg

ulan%2011%20002.jpg

ulan%2011%20003.jpg

ulan%2011%20008.jpg

James, that is the all-leather version of an M15 correct? I had one of these a few years back. As the removable Tuschapka top came out before the M1915 28 June 1915 Feldgrau regulations, I always believed these all-leather examples to have been Tschapkas that were originally intended to have gilt or silver fittings as the shells were made prior to the removable top, but ended up with steel grey fittings instead. Superb example.

Congratulations James!

It looks like a textbook example and at a very attractive price, too. Lucky devil.

Chas. :thumb up:

Tony- yes this is the all leather type. You are probably correct, all four corners of the top have holes on the underside in the corners. It is for sure a very well put together piece.

Thanks

James

James; Looks like another great purchase! I have to tell you that I was too slow to follow up on the Bavarian pioneer helmet, he already sold it before I could look at it. Dick

All my congratulations James, it's a very nice and interesting Tschapka. I've got a similar one in a near mint condition but without such a marvellous little sheet of paper.

I agree with Tony purpose, I think too that the shell of these helmets have been made before the feldgrau regulation of april and september 1915 and have received the field grey fittings later.

Very nice purchase! Is it possible to have some views of the other helmets near your Tschapka, I've seen a Garde Uhlan one, isn't it?

Bravo,

Maxime

Some interesting details that I can note:

1/ I do believe that these helmets have been made by just one maker (Alexander Dahl Helme Fabrik at Barmen). I've got twoo of these all leather mod 1915 Tschapkas, one absolutely like James' one and an another for Garde Regts, my friend Philippe has got one for Line Regts and they both are stamped with the A. Dahl mark. I sold an all leather mod 15 Tschapka last summer and I do remeber that it was stamped A. Dahl too. So, if the only five mod 15 Tschapkas that I've seen in my little collector's life are all stamped A. Dahl, this maker could be the only one who made these all leather models

2/ All these models have a black liner and the four holes for the Rabatte. Three of these have the same white cloth lace on the liner. For all of these, the size is stamped with dark ink just in the middle upper side of the front shield holes and for the most part, the maker stamp is on the right back side of the interior of the shell.

3/ James' one is clearly issued for the Ersatz Eskadron of the UR. 11 (6th Army, 3. Cav Cmd, 7. KD) ; Philippe's one is stamped BA XV and I do believe that it did belong to the Res UR. 9 (7th Army, 15th Res Corps) ; my twoo helmets and the one that I've sold don't have any depot marks.

Here you're some pics

Philippe's one

My twoo helmets

This one that I've sold

Very exciting!!! \:D/

Maxime

Maxime-

Thanks for the comments and pictures!

I am away from home for a few days, but will snap some pictures of the others when I get back.

James

Hi Guys, I have been away for awhile...too many helmet restorations on my plate. A question for the Tschapka experts. I realzie that traditionally the visor on a tschapka is stitched on and then folded over so the stitches do not show from the front. Are there original Tschapkas where the visor is stitched accross in the normal pickelhaube manner so that the stitches show? Second are there original tschapkas with round finger liners instead of the normal square tipped ones that we see in these fotos? Probably, these non traditional characteristics if they are not fakes would be found on M15 helmets. Brian

Greetings Gents

My first posting here, so would like to first say hello and to add that I also recently purchased an all leather M1915 Tschapka. Although it was a tad more than the recent Ebay one I'm very happy with it. It too is maker marked A.Dahl.

Good Collecting

Larry

Hi Brian,

Very happy to speek with you again! I'll try to answer to your questions but I'm not an expert and I know just a little part of the history of the prussian Tschapkas.

Are there original Tschapkas where the visor is stitched accross in the normal pickelhaube manner so that the stitches show?
The only Tschapkas that have seen with apparent stitches on the visor are some old models before 1867 and I do believe that it's because they have been repaired.

Second are there original tschapkas with round finger liners instead of the normal square tipped ones that we see in these fotos?
Yes, there are the ersatz felt models. I note a special detail on all leather Tschapkas liners that I've seen, the liner comes outside of the shell under the visor.

Probably, these non traditional characteristics if they are not fakes would be found on M15 helmets.?
Not sure...

See your later Brian and all the best!

Maxime

Back