Graf von Haugwitz

joerookery

kurt2.jpg

Meet Kurt, Graf von Haugwitz, what can anybody tell me about him? These pictures, I believe were taken in 1914. His birthday was 1895. I think.
kurt3.jpg

kurt4.jpg

Wow! Amazing photos. In the top photo, he is an NCO as he has the NCO lace overtop of the Kollerborte. In the centre photo, he is a Trooper, not even NCO braid or Gefreiter's buttons that I can see? In both photos, he is wearing a private-purchase Garde Kürassier Parade Mannschaften Metalhelme. In the bottom and final photo, is a commissioned Lt. What a marvellous set!

Thank you very much. That was perfectly useful information. There are other pictures, and I will post more soon. What I am trying to track is how this guy got his commission. Clearly, he went through several ranks, did he go to the Academy? If only there were dates on the different pictures! :tongue1: :tongue1:

Robert,

That is the guy!

Seems like he had to be a Fahnenjunker. I would like to know when he entered the Regiment. He survived the war and got married in 1935. He was the third of 8 husbands for that woman!

Having problems with this gentleman's father. I was told this gentleman was in the Garde-Kürassier regiment. Perhaps Tony or one of you with more uniform knowledge than I could tell me something about him. It certainly does not seem that he isn't in the Garde-Kürassier regiment.

Garde%20Kurassier-2-.jpg

Garde%20Kurassier-.jpg

Well, you know he is not Garde Joe, as well as we do. He was an officer in Kürassier Regts 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 8. Only Regts 6 & 8 carried cyphers on the shoulder straps / epaulettes (can't see them, too blurry) and with a black & white photo, I cannot see how you would ever determine which Regiment, as it all comes down to the colour of the piping and on the Kollerborte. But noop. No way was the man with the GdC, GKR, or LKR. just wishful thinking by your contact.

thanks Tony!

Georg Erdmann Karl Friedrich Graf von Haugwitz, *22.06.1848 +12.09.1897 was the father of Curt *28.09.1895 (Gotha Gräfl. Taschenbuch 1915-394).

Georg entered Kür. R 1 in 1865 and served with that regiment until 1877 when he transferred to KR 6. In 1885 he went to KR 5 and then KR 7 in 1891. Major 22.03.1889 His last assignment was as the commander of Ulan. R. 2 from 1894-1895.

Joe,

In my opinion, I think that both the fotos of his father where taken around 1885 but before 1891. This would possibly be a picture of him as a officer in KR 5.

The reason behind my opinion is because his boots end at almost mid thigh. In the pictures I have seen the mid thigh length boots apparently had fallen out of fashion by the late 1890's/1900's. The foto's I have seen almost all the officers had the tops of the boots extend to just above the knee. Of course there is the possibility he wore the same boots when he joined the KR 7 but it seems to me that most of the Prussian officers seemed to be a fashion conscious lot.

John

Thanks John that make sense. These guys were megarich and from the far eastern edge of Silesia. The family cottage:

Schloss_Krappitz.jpg

Joe

It has been many years since I've seen the movie, doesn't this "cottage" resemble the one used as the von Trapp family estate in Sond of Music?

Barbara Hutton, the Woolworth's heiress?

Cool Thread by the way!

Geo

These guys were megarich and from the far eastern edge of Silesia.
One of their forefathers was Christian August Heinrich Kurt Graf von Haugwitz (June 11, 1752–1832), a German statesman, best known for serving as Foreign Minister of Prussia during the Napoleonic Wars.

Click HERE for wikipedia.
Perhaps superfluous info about this family, Joe and the others, but I really do appreciate this topic; fine pictures and fine comments! :D
Happy New Year!

More and more information, has arrived from this family. This is a start of an article. I could go on and on.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Reventlow.html

joerookery said:
More and more information, has arrived from this family. This is a start of an article. I could go on and on.
http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Reventlow.html

Joe,

Great, great article. On the entry concerning Kurt's brother Georg Lucian Curt Eberhard Erdmann, you say his ticket relieving him of military responsibilities due to his disability is on the left, but it's not showing up, all I see is a graphics box, no document.

Back