Grey cloth home service Border Regiment artillery helmet

stuka f

I would like to ad a fine British spike helmet to the collection!
Thise one was wrongly listed as a Belgian Congo helmet and i baught it. But is it a genuine " grey cloth home service Border Regiment artillery" helmet; as I think it is.
So i am putting it here now for review.
Thanks for your comments.
|<ris
bril016_zpsa54a18be.jpg

bril017_zpsf4a3a114.jpg

bril016_zpsa54a18be.jpg

bril021_zps8404ac43.jpg

bril019_zps2ea0a571.jpg

bril025_zpsceab3626.jpg

bril031_zps9a40e2b8.jpg

bril023_zps70455e86.jpg

I'm afraid that, in my opinion, this is a real 'put together' helmet made from a miscellany of parts which don't go together. The helmet plate is a Victorian period 'other ranks' plate, and the combination of the brass plate and white metal centre with no battle honours on the arms of the cross indicates, I believe, a militia battalion of the Border Regiment. The cross on the plates of the regular battalions bore the regimental battle honours. Things go down hill from here, I'm afraid. The Border Regiment was an infantry Regiment and both the grey cloth helmet and the 'ball' are wrong for the regiment. They, like most other infantry regiments, wore 'blue cloth' helmets with a spike. This helmet looks like an 'other ranks' helmet to a volunteer rifle regiment as they wore this type of 'grey cloth', with a spike. The ball was worn by artillery and the various Corps of the British army, other than the Royal Engineers. The rosettes, too are wrong -these type of 'lion head ' rosettes were worn by lancer regiments and one or two heavy cavalry regiments. Finally, the mark left on the helmet when the plate is removed doesn't, at least to my eyes, look to have the same outline as the plate.

Sorry about this. Does anybody else see it differently?

Patrick

Thanks Patrick for your reply!
That is exactly how I saw it as well.
I also noticed the marks on the helmet did not correspond to the plate that is on.
And the lion head's seems like Belgian type's to me.
Just needed a confirmation.
cheers
|<ris

I would have to agree, except I don't care for the helmet body. Other rank helmets are typically rounded at the front peak, whereas officer helmets are pointed but with brass trim. So I'm not sure what this indicates.

A correct Border Regiment helmet would be blue cloth, it wouldn't have a ball as it should have an infantry spike, the lions heads are probably from a lancer cap as an infantry helmet should have rosettes so I agree a parts helmet unfortunately.

Bonhams catalog had a real Border Regiment helmet for sale:
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19838/lot/177/

Could be worth stripping and selling for the parts.

Back