Grossherzogl. Mecklenburg Dragoner-Regt. Nr. 17 Officer Reserve

Beautiful helmet, John, and even more rare with the wartime chinscales secured to M91 posts. Does it also have the M15 spike attachment? The small reserve cross is also less common than the large model that extends over the whole Mecklenburg arms.
Congratulations!

Thank you Matt, Bruno and Steve for your nice comments!

Yes, Bruno it does indeed have the M15 spike attachment. I will take additional photos of the unmounted spike for reference. I do believe this to be a mid-late war production helmet. The small reserve star might be be a sign that materials were running short.

John

// Yes, Bruno it does indeed have the M15 spike attachment. I will take additional photos of the unmounted spike for reference. I do believe this to be a mid-late war production helmet. The small reserve star might be be a sign that materials were running short. //

John that is astounding. M15 officer helmets are so uncommon that a ‘disassembled’ image is definitely needed. That is certainly a beautiful helmet. Well done.

The Reserve status even less common. The Landwehr cross on your Wappen is correct size for a private purchased Wappen.

Every other Reserve / Landwehr unit in the Imperial Armies had contrasting Landwehr cross overlays; examples would be silver Wappen with a gilt Landwehr cross, gilt Wappen with a silver Landwehr cross etc.

To my knowledge, only Mecklenburg and Mecklenburg-Strelitz did not follow that rule and had a silver center Wappen overlay with silver Landwehr cross. Certainly unique.

Last edited:
A beautiful helmet, I didn’t know that with the exception for this Landwehr cross. Congratulations (y)

A beautiful helmet John, wow! Thanks also for posting such detailed photos of the M15 fittings. 👍

John
This is a very sharp looking Pickelhaub, they don’t get better than this. Thank you for sharing this fantastic addition to your collection.
Best regards
John

Back