Guard M1915 Pickelhaube

Peter B

My latest acquisition. I only paid $390 USD for it.

I initially posted the markings in another thread looking for help on reading them. I was hoping someone would determine that they are guard markings. (See link below):

https://www.pickelhaubes.com/xf/threads/help-with-markings.16683/

The helmet has sat the way it is for a long time. I bought it from the same guy I bought the two Train Battalion helmets from nd he is not the type to meddle with his helmets.

The Guard Wappen has been on the helmet for a long time based on how it fits, marks on the shell, matching finish/colour with the other helmet fittings etc. The weird part is that the helmet was obviously repaired at the depot at some point and it seems like they may have put another layer of leather on front of it is thicker than normal, meaning the Guard wappen loops barely make it through the shell. I know double holes are often a sign of someone changing the wappen but I honestly do not think that this happened on this one. If so why all the work to repair the front and hide the holes? By the way it is not as shiny as the photos make it looks on the front.

The wappen was held on by the long steel cotter pins in one of the pictures. I put leather wedges but may put the pins back. There are original holes with grommets (very close together) but you cannot see them from the front and I almost missed them at first glance when looking inside (probably because of the extra layer of leather), and the holes for the Guard Wappen are quite large and rough.

I am thinking that the helmet went to the repair depot (as I think the stamp has BJA and there is also the F stamp), repaired and re-assigned to a Guard Unit. The stamp my have GR17 at the end of it possibly meaning Guard Regiment and 1917?

I had to re-stitch both visors. The wear mark on the rear visor where the spine connects is due to the rear visor moving around a lot as that was the only thing holding it on. The front visor had rubber cement holding it on. Liner is fragile but it's there.

Thoughts?

Regardless I love the helmet. Just hoping the stamp marking might possibly confirm it was a Guard helmet.

Cheers.

Peter

Attachments

• IMG_0807.jpeg
    IMG_0807.jpeg
    422.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0808.jpeg
    IMG_0808.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0809.jpeg
    IMG_0809.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 27