Guard Officer

Eric,

Based on the litzen on his cuffs, he's from one of these four Garde Grenadier regiments...

Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.1

Kaiser Franz Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.2

Königin Elisabeth Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.3

Königin Augusta Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.4

It's kind of hard to see, but it looks like the inside material on his epaulettes is very pale, so he's probably from Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr.1.

Chas,

I could be wrong, but I don't think that's the Pour le Mérite. The eagles look black to me which would make him an Ehrenritter of the Johanniter Order.

johanniterordenehrenritkp2.jpg

Interestingly, the order above the Johnniter Order is the Russian St. Anne and below it is the Russian St. Stanislas...

Regards

Dave

Just revisiting this one guys:

The then Hauptmann Paul v. Strantz, company commander of 1./ Kaiser Alexander Garde-Grenadier-Regiment Nr. 1 in 1896. The good captain had been despatched to Saint Petersburg the previous year to show the Tsar (Regimental Chief) the latest infantry equipment and came back dripping with high end Russian gongs for his troubles! He rose to the rank of Generalmajor and command of 29. Infanterie-Brigade, retiring in November 1916. He had been severely wounded on 6 August 1914 at Liège as the regimental commander of Infanterie-Regiment von Lützow (1. Rheinisches Nr. 25). He died on 26 May 1928.

Regards
Glenn

Back