Guard Shako 1867

Tomitchoe

Hi Guys,

Seems like this is a guard shako from 1867.
what do you think ?
http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6601636196&fromMakeTrack=true

Greetz

Greetz: A very nice shako, however, the difficulty is that the Danish army wore the same pattern shako in about 1860. The shape of the crown marking inside the shako may be a helpful clue in determining if the shako is Danish or German. Perhaps one of the forum members has some more definitive information.

Reservist1

Collecting Rule #1 said:
Do not believe the seller’s description of anything you are looking at. Look at the item, use references, and decide for yourself what it is and if it is correct and original..

This is not M1867. This is a M1854. Squared visor is correct. See>> http://www.kaisersbunker.com/pt/tschako.htm

However, look at it. No age, no wear, = no way. I vote a Centennial piece or as R1 suggested, Danish that has been 'Germanized'. But even if it is Danish, I still vote made in the last 90 years or so.

The seller is Danish and, oddly enough, I received an e-mail from him this past weekend. We both had bid on the Sachsen Tschapka listed by "prussiangrenadier" (Bruce Herman). Randy Trawnik won the helmet: I came in third, and Søren (duedrengen) fifth.

We were both contacted by a party identifying himself as "albert stevenson" promoting the Tschapka through a completely bogus "Second Chance Offer." Isn't it nice to know eBay enables this kind of thing? If one responds through these phony links, his password is compromised and possibly his PayPal account (if both passwords are identical). I don't even want to think about what happens next.

I just read in the local rag that eBay is being sued by Tiffany & Co. for facilitating fraud (providing a marketplace for fake Tiffany for which eBay collects buyer and seller fees). Should eBay lose, it will signal the beginning of the end. Anyone who's ever been ripped off will want to get in on the act.

As for the Tschako, my guess is Danish. However, the seller may not even know. I would not take a chance.

Chas.

Same thing happened to me on a Austro-Hungarian helmet. The new one is...you get a question about an item you are selling, but it's not your item. If you try to respond your passwoed is compromised. :x Corky

Just happened to me. Got a nasty message about something I was not selling. I responded but it did not work so I reset my password.

Yes boys, this is the latest phishing con, I recieved aa message from ebay from a fellow in oz asking if he could pay with a credit card, I did not use the link provided on the email. I went straight to ebay and checked my messages, there was no message in "my ebay" so I knew that this was a phoney, I also checked the fellows ID in oz and the number of feed backs were not the same. I have not sent this email to ebay's fraud section yet but I will do so now.
Gus
PS If you have responded to any email like this, be sure to change your pass word, and never use the same pasword for both ebay and paypal, never, never, never.
Gus

Hey Boys,
If you get one of the phoney emails from ebay, forward it to ebay by clicking the forward button and send it to this address [email protected] you will get two responses from ebay over the next day or two telling you that it was a fake yada, yada, yada. Never click on a link that you get in an email for any thing that needs a pasword, always type in the address, or use your favorits menu and then go from there.
Gus

Got a picture from the crown from him. Maybe this gives more info:

http://img7.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img7/8/SIMG0867.jpg

Back